Thursday, June 16, 2005

Can I Irk You? Yes, I Can!

Today, I had seven kids. One expects a certain baseline cacophony right there. Sheer numbers will do it. On the way back from the park - three in the stroller, four outriggers - the four three-year olds all started singing the "Bob the Builder" theme song. Thomas, the original and true Bob the Builder fan, who has even been to see Bob at a large local mall, and who owns every Bob marketing gizmo out there, started the song and lead the choir. The only problem is, none of them know more than the first two lines: "Bo-oo-ob the Builder. Can we fix-it? Yes, we can!" Over and over. Not very melodiously, but lots of rhythm in our four-man choir. Strong, firm, and positive: "Yes. We. Can!!" Out from the tumult comes the occasional "No, we can't!" Equally firm and just as definite. This would be George, ever the individualist. This blasphemy would win him a severe look from Thomas, which George returned each time with a small, satisfied grin, delighted to have achieved the desired effect.(Hmmm... Individualist or shit-disturber? I'm quite sure his father would opt for the latter, with no little parental pride.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin B said...

So now its Bob the Builder, huh? I don't know that one, but he sounds really cool. We used to serenade our kids with Barney songs. I really loved Barney, he was my virtual babysitter. We knew all the words to his songs, but sometimes I found myself driving alone in the car listening and singing softly along to a Barney music cassette tape by habit (forgetting there were no kids in the back..wasn't that horrifying!). My first two kids used to count down the time of road trips, under heavy sedation from our TV/VCR combination, by asking "How many Barney shows until we get there?" Oh well, I suppose that's better than the airline multiple tablespoons of cough syrup sedative, but that's another story!

6/16/2005 02:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary P said...

I remember standing in line a the grocery store, jiggling from side to side as I soothed my infant - and then realized she wasn't with me. Yes, I'm sane, uh-huh, uh-huh...

Bob the Builder is a half hour kids show about a general contractor type, his assistant, Wendy, and various anthropomorphic pieces of heavy machinery, with names like Scoop and Muck. They were singing the theme song. (Unlike Barney,which I never watched, there's only one song in the whole show.)

p.s. I have never actually watched this show, either. I've learned all this stuff from Thomas's books that he brings to share, Thomas's figurines and toys, Thomas's raincoat, overalls, T-shirts, and Thomas's underwear...

6/16/2005 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

I bounced a bag of sugar once.

The madness of parents!

6/16/2005 04:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary's daughter said...

I seem to remember another story, Mum, in which you were standing behind a chair and reached down to play with your daughter's hair, only to discover that the person sitting in front of you with the blonde curls was not your 5 year old daughter, but an elderly woman.

The things we do by habbit.

6/17/2005 02:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Si said...

"General contractor type" - LOL

Bob is the local handy man, fantastic viewing, he has been around the UK for many many years

(http://www.hitentertainment.com/bobthebuilder/)

Si (aka keldar)

6/17/2005 04:08:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Offspring: I have no recollection of that one, at all! I must've been mortified!

Si: Well, you know, the bits of it I've seen (my previous comment should have read "I've never watched an entire show) always reminded me of a British show - lower key, slower paced, less glitzy than most kid shows produced here - but they must have dubbed in other voices, because everyone sounds like they could live down the street from me.

Handyman! Of course that's what he is! Handyman with heavy machinery, though - clearly he's doing well for himself!

6/17/2005 05:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home