Friday, June 17, 2005

Mechanical Man

Harry is one mechanically talented little dude. Yesterday he discovered our non-spill container of bubble stuff. This kind has a tray for the soap at the bottom, with a high domed lid that screws onto it. Three bubble wands fit into slots in this dome. Harry was intrigued by this thing. He noted very quickly that it wouldn't spill - most tots take this entirely for granted - and wanted to know How it Worked. In very short order he had the thing unscrewed and was investigating its innards. (It had very little soap in it, thankfully.) And, to my even greater surprise, he was able to put it back together! Wow. Yesterday, we went for a walk, and when someone, noticing a fire hydrant for the first time, asked about it, Harry interrupted my explanation to make a clarification: first the firemen have to unscrew the blue nut at the top, Mary, before the water will come out the sides. Now we all know! Thank you, Harry! We have an apple peeler at my place, one of those fancy-schmancy ones that screw onto the tabletop. Once it's secured on the table, you impale an apple onto the prongs at one end of its central wand, then start to wind it towards the peeler/slicer/corer mechanism at the other end. When finished, the apple is - surprise - peeled, cored, and sliced. Sliced into a spiral slinky, actually, much to the children's delight. We had apples for snack yesterday. Harry was completely fascinated by this thing. He spent quite a bit of time, cranking away at the empty machine, just to watch the central wand move forward. This morning, Harry strides in and makes his way almost immediately to the kitchen, where he finds an apple on the counter. He trots out to see me in the dining room, holds up his apple, and says, "Let's sharpen this apple!"

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin B said...

Harry the Engineer, sounds like great subject matter for a children's book. You could make a lot of money there....with all the promotional accessories like videos, toys, t-shirts, underwear, etc, probably give Bob the Builder a run for his money.
Hey, I think I need to get me one of those apple-slicer thingamajiggers. My #1 daughter K. Elaina sure could have used one a few years ago when, in a moment alone in the kitchen, she decided to cut up an apple all by herself....with an accessible butter knife. Well she struggled and struggled so hard to make a cut that the knife finally slipped and cut a huge gash in the webbing between her forefinger and thumb. Poor girl. Luckily, that's when Dad stepped in the door. Wasn't sharp enough to cut the apple but I guess sharp enough to cut through skin. Yikes! Several stitches followed and a nice scar.

6/17/2005 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Harry the Engineer! Great idea. I'm on it right now. If I stop blogging, it'll be because I'm too busy making my millions...

Where did I get that apple thingy, anyway? I know - at one of those home selling parties, this one of kitchen gadgets. What was the company called?

Nope, it's not coming back to me. Google it: "apple-slicer thingamajigger", see what you get!

6/17/2005 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger August95 said...

Great story Mary P. Harry sounds delightful. Now just wait until he starts taking the phones and radios apart. Enjoy.

6/18/2005 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Thanks for the thought, August: time for me to move the phones and radios up out of reach. And the cd player. Oh, and definitely the computer, too. And the tape player, and my sewing machine, all the fans...

I am soooo in trouble!

6/19/2005 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Sharpened apples! I love it! Why can't I be that clever?

6/20/2005 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Yeah. I wish I could think up this stuff myself: I only report what I hear! All toddlers think outside the box, that's for sure!

6/20/2005 12:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home