Monday, June 20, 2005

Meme

Thanks to Simon over at Upright and Breathing for this peek into my book life. If you find it the least interesting, you may thank him; if you don't, you may go over there and spam him. :-) 1. Total Number of Books I Own: Very rough estimate, seven hundred. Quite possibly a couple hundred more, probably not less. Most of them are still in boxes, awaiting the time (six years or so in the future), when the attic will no longer be required as a bedroom, and can assume its proper use as spectacular library!! 2. Last Book I Bought: two, in fact. "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", by Marc Weissbluth. It's full of good advice, although its very poor editing makes that information quite difficult to dredge out. And "ish", a children's book, by Peter H. Reynolds. I bought one for each of my daycare kids last Christmas, but liked it so well I had to buy my own to keep! 3. Last Book I read: Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood. My son had to read it for English class, and I picked it up. Sad to say, I didn't enjoy it much at all, though it was an easy enough read. Atwood, as it happens, lives in the town that houses the hospital where my mother, a nurse, used to work. But I still didn't like this book, though I've quite enjoyed others of hers. 4. Five Books that Mean a Lot to Me: this one was much harder. I am a voracious reader, going through 4 to 7 books most weeks. With that kind of volume, it makes it difficult for any one book to stand up too much above all the others. Let's see... "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", by Steven Covey. I love his notion of the space between stimulus and response that allows us our choices. I love a lot of things about this book. I like "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. It's my favourite of all her books. For a while, I would read "The Egoist" by George Elliot about once a year. For professional reading, I love Barbara Coloroso. My favourite is probably the first I read: "Kids Are Worth It". I am a "backbone parent". And, although my beliefs have changed a lot in the intervening decades, I'd probably have to put the Bible in there, too. When I was a teenager, in the heart of my formative years, I read it every day, memorized huge chunks of it, and tried to live by its precepts. It's undeniable that the skills of evaluating, digging into a text, looking for layers and picking things apart for deeper meaning that I learned then, stand me in good stead now. 5. Tag five people: The people I tag, I'll tag by email.

9 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

I love seeing what other people read. I too am a voracious reader. I have 6 books stacked up on my bedside table right now!

6/20/2005 09:17:00 PM  
Blogger ASouthernGirl said...

I can't imagine life without books. reading has always been my escape and like misfit, I love to see what other people are reading.Have you read "The Time travelers Wife"? I'm in love with that book.

6/20/2005 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger RitaPita said...

I just did this meme a few weeks ago.. tough wasn't it? Ditto misfit and southrengirl, I love seeing what other people are reading too.

Hmmm.. I am a huge Atwood fan and while Oryx and Crake wasn't her best, I thouhgt it was good look at a total oppisite (sur)reality then Handmaids Tale.

6/20/2005 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

It's not surprising that bloggers, who obviously like to write, would be readers, too. The hardest part of it for me was the "five books that mean the most". Reading is like a drug to me: I don't have a book, I get twitchy and irritable. I've heard of "The Time Traveller's Wife", but I've not read it - yet! But I'm planning a trip to the library today.

6/21/2005 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin B said...

Just started gods of Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson last night. Wonderful stuff, and she's a blogger too!http://www.joshilynjackson.com

Sorry MP, I'm too lazy to do the link thing!

6/21/2005 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Trying to narrow down to five favourite/meaningful books was hard work. I notice that most people who did the task kinda cheated by saying everything by a certain author. Sometimes it is an individual book, such as Silent America by Bill Wittle (which if you haven't read it, I strongly recommend), while other times it's a whole body of work that moves you, like Tolkien's works or Heinlein, or Asimov of Arthur C. Clark.

6/21/2005 09:25:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Thanks, everybody! Now I have my reading list for my next trip to the library! (Including a re-read of "The Handmaid's Tale". Oh, and I really enjoyed "Alias Grace". Forgot about that one.)

6/21/2005 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger RitaPita said...

maryp,

have you read 'the blind assassin"? you should pick it up if not.. i would love to hear your thoughts on it.

6/21/2005 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

No, I haven't. That makes five books now! Woo-hoo!

6/21/2005 05:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home