Friday, June 17, 2005

Tough luck, indeed

The thread about non-meat eating children reminded me of a conversation that once occurred in my home, years ago. Picture a family meal, with mother, father, eldest daughter (then 4), and baby brother (then about a year). Baby sister wouldn't make her appearance for another three years or so. It's a standard meal: meat (pork chops), various vegetables, a basket of rolls. Eldest daughter, who is past her no-meat phase, is nonetheless asking probing questions about meat in general. Where does it come from? she wants to know. Mummy explains: animals. Oh. That requires some mental digestion. After considering a moment, she pursues the matter: And this particular bit of meat in front of her? Which animal does it come from? "Well, dear", says mummy, hoping that we're not about to plunge into a second, more substantial non-meat-eating phase, "that's a pork chop. It used to be part of a pig." Another pregnant pause. Daddy chips in, solicitous of her feelings, "Does that bother you, sweetie?" "Nnooo..." She pauses, considering the slice of pig on the plate in front of her. Then she lifts her head and says, quite matter-of-factly, "Tough luck on the pig, though!"

4 Comments:

Blogger Simon Peter said...

"Tough luck on the pig"

That's a riot! I love it.

Reminds me about the definition of bacon and eggs. A meal in which the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. :-)

6/17/2005 08:52:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin B said...

Mary, it only a matter of time before my save-the-innocent animals son K. Wesley comes to his senses and figures out that he's contributing to the demise of the poor things by eating them. I suppose he will then enter into a vegetarian stage....but wait, as he hates "green crunchy things"...i.e., vegetables, I suppose he'll have to become a fruitarian...or maybe a fruitopian....mmm, or perhaps a fruitloop....or possibly a fruitcake, egads!

6/17/2005 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

*snort*

I shouldn't read blogs while I'm drinking coffee!

The Girl used to be what I called a "natural vegetarian". She just did not like the taste of meat. Recently, though, she's become quite the little carnivore. Good thing, because she REALLY needs to put some pounds on her!

Kevin, I just had to say that my boy is definitely a save-the-innocent-animals kind of kid. He cried when his caterpillar died. But when it comes to meat, he's like a T-Rex. Devours it and takes no prisoners. He knows where the meat comes from; still eats it with no apologies. I have to wonder if he *really* makes the connection. I guess we'll cross that bridge at some other point!

6/17/2005 09:51:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: the difference between 'involved' and 'committed' as the dif. between bacon and eggs - I love it!

Kevin: If your son gets there, he'll have a crisis on his hands: principle versus preference. I'd love to see how that falls out! And if he turns out a fruitcake, he won't have falled too far from the (fruit) tree!

Misfit: your reaction was pretty much what mine was at the time, only I think it was wine. (ouch)

I am pretty much a "natural vegetarian" myself, but once in a while I really crave a honkin' big steak. Medium rare. Yum...

6/17/2005 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home