Thursday, July 07, 2005

Construction, with pictures!

It's construction season in Canada. Since our viable summer is about 12 minutes long, we need to make the most of it when it arrives. This year, my street is slated for "Water and Sewer Renewal". Judging from the state of the old pipes that have come up out of those trenches they're digging, it was not a moment too soon. It's made for a dusty, noisy, and very exciting summer for the kids. Here are a few views: This is us getting ready for an outing. See how organized we are?? Here you can see, from the rear seat, and going clockwise: Zach in the red shirt, baby Alice in the front seat, George in the yellow shirt, Thomas on the porch, Harry in the red shirt, and Darcy in the striped shirt. Note the four-seater stroller (!), my pride and joy and sanity-saver. Note also the clear hoses on the sidewalk in front of Alice: one of these brings all the water for our entire house. And we have lots. How can that teeny hose do that? Note also the bricks piled to the right, upon which George is sitting. These used to run along the front of our lot, but had to be removed so that the trench holding those tiny white hoses could be dug... This, so I am told, is called a high-hoe. This has the inevitable effect of calling Disney tunes to mind, and so we head off burbling like the seven dwarves... which isn't too inappropriate, now that I think on it. This was the hoe making the initial pass, ripping up the asphalt surface. It will be back twice more, woo-hoo. The road surface removed, the sand underneath is then carted away. It's astonishing how delicate those giant buckets can be: there are gas lines down there, which look just like bright yellow garden hoses. They run across the street, from side to side, and somehow survive the digging intact! I'm so impressed! See that fellow coming up out of the hole? He's had quite the climb. Once at the bottom, he's about six feet below the surface of the road. And sometimes, folks, sometimes when they break through the old sewer mains, there are rats down there. Yes, indeed. Sewer rats are a fact. (But this nice man isn't one of them...) All in all, it's an enthralling summer. I'm enjoying it almost as much as the children. However, I do take time away from the big-screen television set that is my front door long enough to prepare a meal or write a post - unlike little Mia here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aginoth said...

My son would be in heaven watching all that heavy Machinary. An engineer in the making, just like his dad (beams with pride)

7/08/2005 03:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Si said...

You wern't wrong about your pushchair, its huge. You must have arms like popeye after pushing that for a few months :-)

7/08/2005 04:10:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Aginoth: an engineer, or a truck-driver. The former, we hope! How old is your son?

Si: This has been suggested by others, but not so! As I've said, it's very well designed. Light as anything, turns on a dime. The only time I really work is going up hills - and then it's my derriere that gets the workout.

7/08/2005 05:13:00 AM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Wow, I think I'd trade in my TV for your big screen any day. That's pretty neat. I'm amazed by all the hoses, though. I had no idea. I thought they were pipes.

7/08/2005 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Yeah, me too. The second pass of the street is starting, and it seems now that the first pass was to remove the old pipes, metal and gruesomely corroded. This second one is putting in large (6-8 inch in diameter) pale blue plastic pipes back under the street. What are they for? Clean water? Grey water? Sewage? I don't know. But gas? Yes, gas comes to your home through bright yellow flexible hoses. Who knew?

7/08/2005 02:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home