Monday, July 11, 2005

Hot and Sticky

I've read this through, and it's a boring post. My apologies in advance. I'm blaming the heat: I'm too enervated to be either clever or funny... Phew. Currently it's 32 degrees out there, humidex of 38. That's some hot! Zach, Harry and I got back from our morning outing about an hour ago, which consisted of running - no, strolling - a few errands, carefully chosen for the strength of the business's air-conditioning. We moved at a very leisurely pace, we lingered in the cool, we meandered home. Once home, I stripped them to their underwear, sponged them down with a cool cloth while they stood in front of the fan, then tanked them up with still more cool water before laying them down for a nap. They are not sleeping, but they are having a quiet time. This is fine. I almost had the day off! When Harry signed with me, he was not to come on Mondays, but his mother got a promotion about a year ahead of schedule, and doesn't feel she can work a shortened week for the next couple of months, so he was here today after all. Zach was to have stayed home with Gramma, who is visiting, but they're having someone in to replace a window, and it will be "too crazy" there to have him around. This latter does not impress me much: there are three adults at home - Mom, Dad, and Gramma. (Mom is on holiday, Dad works from home, and Gramma is here, officially visiting her grandson.) Surely between the three of them they can manage one two-year-old? I know the parents would be unimpressed if I took a day off simply because I was expecting a workman in the house, unless, of course, the environment would be unsafe. But for mere convenience? Not likely. Ah, well. They pay for the space, it is their right to use it! Still, to have had a day off waved under one's nose and then whipped away causes a little wistfulness... We had a nice outing, though. To be honest, a mere two tots, 2 and 3 years old at that, feels pretty much like a day off! Our favourite part was snacks at Second Cup, where we ate, chatted amongst ourselves and with some other patrons. The manager came round to compliment me on their behaviour - I love it when this happens! - and gave us a twofer coupon. Wasn't that nice? Too often we are all too willing to notice and criticize rotten behaviour, but completely overlook the quiet, well-behaved, interesting and charming little ones - precisely because they're not raising a ruckus! Me, I generally make a point of complimenting people about their children when it's possible. It's nice to be on the receiving end! (I also compliment pregnant women on their appearance, and parents who are dealing effectively with a public temper tantrum, or other difficult behaviour. We need to do this for each other!) I think that's about it. As I said, not up to my usual standards. I'll try harder tomorrow, I promise!

4 Comments:

Blogger Simon Peter said...

Forgiven! :-)

Actually I liked your point about complimenting people for their well behaved children. I don't do it very often myself (lack of reason mostly), but I am often on the receiving end of such compliments. There is a reason why I refer to my daughters as princesses ... they look and behave the part far, far more often than they don't. Thank goodness they take after their mother in so many ways! :-)

7/11/2005 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

I've never understood it when parents who work all week long choose not to have their child with them on days when they're not working. If I had a child in daycare I'd be actively looking forward to picking them up and being with them on days off. And overtime? You can forget it. After all, why have a child if you don't spend quality time with them? They're only young once.

7/11/2005 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

You're absolutely right about complimenting the good stuff.

That said, Zach's people couldn't take him being home while ONE WINDOW was being replaced? I'm sorry, WHAT? We got new windows in December. Every single window replaced. In December. My kids were here for the whole thing. Every single window (17 of them, plus a new bay window and a sliding glass door).

Please. That's what you DO when you have kids. They're part of your life.

Sorry, that just makes me so upset.

7/11/2005 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: well-reared children (such as yours and mine, obviously!) are a pleasure to have around, and it's lovely when people notice that they are. It's a tribute to the child, and a tribute to their parents. Given that parenting is a constant, demanding, complex job, it's nice to get the affirmation now and then, isn't it?

Haley: I've never understood it, either. I arranged my life to spend as much time as possible with you three, as you know. I'm glad to see it's a value you share.

Misfit: Your story proves that it's entirely do-able, if one chooses to do it. "That's what you DO when you have kids. They're part of your life."
Well said!

7/12/2005 07:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home