Thursday, July 14, 2005

A New Project

Harry is busy with the blocks, creating a long “train with steps on it”. As he works, he sings:

“Ah. Way. Mih-muh may-r r, No. Cri fu a beh The lih, lur Jee-uh Lay dow ih ee ed.”
Recognize it? You don't have the advantage I did, of a reasonable facsimile of the tune. Harry is remembering happy, cooler days, and is treating us to Away In A Manger. A day or two I complained about his diction (or lack thereof). Today I'm seeing it as sweet, quirky, and, most importantly, A Project. I love a good roll-up-my-sleeves-and-get-into-it kid challenge! This one cries out to be tackled. Speech is clearly important to the boy, since he indulges ceaselessly. Why not make it easier for people to understand him? There are a few problem areas with his speech, but the most consistent is that he doesn't put the final consonant onto his words. Right then. We'll start with that. Oooh. A Project. I am a happy woman.

8 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

Now that is just too sweet. It seems these days that children are more likely to burst into renditions of various children's tv theme songs than anything else. I think I'd much rather hear songs like Away In A Manger than Bob the Builder!
(Can he do it? Yes he can!!)

7/14/2005 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Harry obviously listens to a lot of varied music at home. Last week he was singing that folk song, oh, what is it called? Has the line "...the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone, you can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles."

It's probably called "A Hundred Miles"...

A cut above Bob the Builder, yes, indeed!

7/14/2005 02:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Si said...

I thought it was French Canadian :-)

7/15/2005 03:35:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Thank your lucky stars I'm not Quebecois! I'd be insulted and you'd be a marked man.

7/15/2005 07:46:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Princess number 1 loves singing. She sings to herself while she's playing and when she's playing with dolls/little people she sings the conversations between them. It's so cute to watch. Everything morphs into a musical. :-)

Speaking of musicals, both the princesses love watching "My Fair Lady" and "White Christmas". Not your usual childrens viewing I imagine, but they love them.

7/15/2005 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

I love it when kids do that! All three of mine did, one of my young cousins, and various daycare tots over the years. Harry is one of the singers. (Though, as my daughter Emma commented yesterday: "He'll never be a singer. Nobody would pay to hear that voice." I dunno. I remember The Clash, and Bob Dylan, and Neil Young...)

Suggestion? Record her one day. Set up a camera inobtrusively and see if you can save a few minutes for posterity. It's one of those things you'll always treasure.

7/15/2005 02:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Si said...

> Thank your lucky stars I'm not Quebecois! I'd be insulted and you'd be a marked man.

:-) "Just Kidding"

7/18/2005 06:45:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Oh, me too! :-)

7/18/2005 07:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home