Thursday, July 14, 2005

Sad but True

“Zach! Come on, love. In the door, please.” Zach is hunkered down on the front porch, peering and pointing. “A ants! Oh! Lookita ants!” “Yes, there's an ant, all right. But it's time to come in for lunch. Come on in.” I hold the door open with my right knee, as my left arm is filled with Alice, who sits astride my hip, a bag dangles from my left elbow, another from my right, and my right hand is holding the two t-shirts we won earlier today. If Zach doesn't hustle himself, something will fall or break - my back being the most likely candidate for the latter. Zach is still engrossed in the ant, not really hearing me. Emma, who is coming up the steps just behind us, finds the key to move him. “Yeah, Zach." Chirpy, matter-of-fact, encouraging. "Come on. There are lots of ants inside.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

Funny that it was Emma pulling him away from the ants. I remember that when she was Zach's age she had to stop and watch every ant we passed on the way to the park.

7/14/2005 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Took us forever to get anywhere!

Oh, were you there when, in order to get some speed going, I quick whisked an ant away with my foot (before she saw it and had to stop to investigate)? Only she was too quick for me, and saw me at it, and when she discovered I had squashed the ant, we had to stop even longer for the requisite mourning?

heeheehee

7/14/2005 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

I do indeed remember that. I had to run up three more sidewalk squares and convince her that the ant up there was more worthy of her attention, lest we spend the rest of the afternoon attending a wake for the poor splotch on the sidewalk.

7/14/2005 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Yes, I remember that! ...attending a wake for the poor splotch on the sidewalk. LOL Such a way with words you have! I didn't mean to squash it, either. I genuinely just wanted to, like, shove it a bit... Such are the mental processes of the mother of a toddler.

7/14/2005 05:02:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Then there's my daughter, who for 4 and a half years screamed bloody murder if a bug of any type appeared in the same post code.

7/14/2005 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

I'm guessing this is in the past for her now? Bet you're relieved!

My eldest had tendencies in that direction when she was three or so. I very cleverly deflected it by purchasing one of those clear plastic "Bug Jars" with the magnifying glass in the lid. I'd catch the worrisome insect, pop it in the jar, and then we'd peer in, maybe draw a picture of it, I'd exclaim over its pretty wings or funny spots or whatever, and then we'd set it free. It worked. Good thing, because girly squeamishness gets (to quote someone I know with a great way with words) on my last nerve!

7/15/2005 07:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home