Wednesday, August 17, 2005

ABCD Me, Me, Me

This was emailed to me some while ago, and has been sitting in my inbox ever since. May as well use it. You'll be thrilled, no doubt. Age - early forties Booze - gin&tonic on occasion, Irish cream ales when I go out, and for summer fun: crushed ice lime margaritas, the grown-up slushie. I'm partial to hard lemonade, too. (Something about a cold drink on a shaded porch after work!) Career - originally a teacher, now a daycare provider Dad's name - unknown (my mother was young and foolish once - it worked out well for me!) Essential Item to Bring to a Party - me, with one drink in me for starters Favorite Song(s)/Music - oh, there are so many! - You Can Leave Your Hat On - the Etta James version, though I like Joe Cocker's as well. I own both. - Can't Stand the Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Honesty", and "All I Want" - Tom Lips - every Christmas I have to hear Jewel's "Rudolph" at least once a day (but apart from that I prefer the traditional carols) - The Gorilla Song - Raffi - Only Then Will Your House Be Blessed - Harry Manx (Not much of a top-40s girl, as you can see. That's only the tiniest tip of the iceberg. I love music, I love to sing. I love the Beatles. Oh, and Pete Townshend, Peter Gabriel, and Tony D, Ella Fitzgerald. Beethoven's 5th (Emperor) Concerto; Debussy's 1st Arabesque; anything by Bach, Mozart's horn concertos; Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen, A.J. Croce, Melissa Etherige... Okay, this is turning into its own post. Must stop now.) Goof Off Thing To Do - read, walk, listen to music Hometown - a hamlet in central Ontario. Population when I left, about 700, now, a town of 5,000! Instrument You Play: Piano. Played oboe in high school. Took fiddle lessons for a few months last year. Jam or Jelly You Like: President's Choice Peach. Yummmm. Kids - 3 of my own, 5 stepkids. (Mine: 19, 16, 12; His: 17, 15, 14, 12, 10) Living Arrangement - commonlaw, 8 years. Mom's Name - Valerie Name of Best Friend - Giulie (pronounced "Julie", short for Giulietta. No, she's not Italian - she was named after an Italian sportscar!) Overnight Hospital Stays - only to give birth: 3. Phobias - I'm claustrophobic in general, but mostly controlled. Caves really scare me. Hyperventilation, pounding heart, dizziness. Can't go in 'em. Quote You Like - "I generally avoid temptation, unless I can't resist it." Mae West Relationship That Lasted the Longest - my first marriage (13 years) Siblings - two: one sister, one brother. True love, ever had? - yes, now! Unique Trait - Optimism Vegetable You Love - Which to choose? I LOVE vegetables! Ummm... asparagus! Worst Trait - impatience X-rays you've had - none, I think... (I'd have to ask my mother!) Yummy Food You Make - What? Me, cook? I really get no pleasure from cooking, so while I'm perfectly competent to turn out decent meals, I can't get excited about this at all, at all. I'm drawing a blank here. Zodiac Sign - Aquarius

8 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

I love reading things like this.

It's the voyeur in me.

8/17/2005 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Yes, thrilled!
It's great to get to know you better, Mary!

I love your list of favorite music!

8/17/2005 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

What a nice little window into you.

Now how about a recipie for those margaritas?

8/17/2005 08:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Sharkey said...

Not even a dental x-ray? Impressive.

It is good to get to know you better.

8/17/2005 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Misfit: It was pretty much a throwaway post on a busy day. I'm kind of ambivalent about these things, truth be known, so I'm glad you liked it.

Lory: I love music. Lots and lots of it. I could've added more, but one has to know when to stop...

Susan: Recipe? I don't have a - OOOHHH! You don't think I've ever actually MADE a margarita, do you?? No, I just go to Mexicali Rosa's, which make the best I've ever tasted, and drink them on the patio overlooking the lake. At $9.00 a pop, I don't do this often, or drink too many...

Sharkey: Dental x-rays!! Forgot all about those! Of course I've had them. Lord only knows how many... Oops. And now you know something else about me: I have a TERRIBLE memory.

8/17/2005 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Aginoth said...

may have to do that myself...need a me me me page on my blog....

8/18/2005 04:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Good idea! Seems a good enough structure to get a lot of bits and pieces out there. To my surprise, people actually ask for this kind of stuff! (And no, one of my stellar traits is NOT modesty.)

8/18/2005 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

I'm claustrophobic too - and it played havoc with the whole childcare thing - especially when they wanted to go into the ghost-train/torture chamber/castle basements.......

And don't even get me started on my fear of the dark, trying to calm scared children during powercuts when you're freaked out of your own brain...

8/24/2005 08:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home