Tuesday, August 09, 2005

knock, knock

Knock-knock jokes are often the first type of joke that children learn. They're formulaic, interactive, and have delightfully punny punch lines. But humour is a tricky concept, and just because a kid's memorized the formula doesn't mean they understand the equation. Here are some I've been subjected to: Kid: Knock, knock! Me: Who's there? Kid: Moo! Me: Moo, who? Kid: A cow Knock, knock! Who's there? Me. Me, who? Is Me, Mary!! Who's there? Isabelle. Isabelle, who? I gots a bicycle! Who's there? Dick. (Hmmm. Do I want to pursue this one? Ah, why not: the tot won't understand the punch line anyway!) Dick, who? I dunno. Daddy wouldn't tell me the rest. Who's there? Banana. (I heave a mental sigh. I know this one, and it can go on for a while in the hands of a knock-knock fanatic.) Banana who? Banana Banana who? Banana Banana who? Orange. Orange who? Banana went away. (For those less familiar with these things, we've omitted a critical part of the punch line: Orange you glad...) Who's there? Amos. Amos, who? A mosquito just bit me! Hey! Someone got one right!

7 Comments:

Blogger M&Co. said...

Oh I love it when my BoyChild does the "KnockKnockBanana" one!

8/09/2005 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

I love the bicycle one! Classic!

8/09/2005 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

M&Co: Hello, and welcome! How old is BoyChild? They just love this one, and mine love it when I roll my eyes and say "Banana again???"

Misfit: you can follow the train of thought, right through when it goes completely off the tracks, can't you?

8/09/2005 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

LOL :-)

Wow, never heard the Banana one before.

8/10/2005 03:31:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Gee. Who knew there were any NEW knock-knock jokes?

8/10/2005 07:28:00 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

The favourite one that I got went like this:

Knock knock
Who's there?
Toothfairy
Toothfairy who?
Mummy said you had to give me three dollars.

8/10/2005 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

"Hey, kid", you could answer, "I'm only being paid five dollars an hour!" I love the "Mummy says" bit - you're never expected to argue THAT one.

8/10/2005 03:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home