Monday, August 08, 2005

Montreal!

No blog earlier today because I've been in Montreal. Fun! My best girlfriend, Sophie, decided that as we are both on holiday this week, a girl's only trip to Montreal was in order. We were to leave by ten so as to be there comfortably in time for lunch - it's about an hour and a half away. Sophie has never been on time for anything in her life, so when it turned out that we didn't leave till 11:30, it was only Sophie (to whom her chronic tardiness is always an abberation, never normal) who was surprised! The drive went by as quickly as a drive can only when partaken by two good friends who have gone a whole week without a decent conversation. Sophie lived in Montreal for years, so its narrow, elevated highways, bridges, crowded roads, French drivers and French signage were not in the least intimidating. With remarkable dispatch we were sitting to lunch at a nice Greek restaurant on Rue St. Artur, a nice pedestrian-only street entirely inhabited by eating establishments - Greek, Thai, Lebanese, Italian, Mexican, generic, and, yes, French. Though one might argue that in the province of Quebec, all restaurants are by definition French. Then off to the shops!! I have minimal cash, given that I'm having a basement room built this month, but nothing can dull the pleasure of window shopping in the eclectic, funky, fashionable shops we discovered. Clothing stores, of course, but also lighting, a gorgeous furniture shop, toy stores, vegetarian food, and any number of hard-to-define gift shops. Then the tourist trip up Mont Royale to take in the view of the city. It was lovely. It's a low city: few of the building visible in the miles and miles of city we could see passed ten stories; most are under five. The St. Laurence wound its way around - Montreal is on a couple of islands, which hadn't been readily apparent until we stood atop the mountain. We decided we'd had enough just as a bus filled to the brim with very nice cameras accompanied by a few tourists entered the parking lot. An hour and a half later, I'm home. The only thing we'd planned that we didn't squeeze in was the sangria on a patio. But that we can do here at home!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Sharkey said...

That sounds wonderful! And it reminds me that I haven't had a girls' weekend in a long time. Hmm . . . perhaps some planning is in order.

8/08/2005 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

And you'll be posting a picture from your trip? Need to borrow a mac? ;-)

8/08/2005 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Sharkey: Everyone deserves a little R&R with their friends!

Simon: You, sir, are a brat! :-P

Sorry, no pictures! I fully intended to take some, and had arranged that Sophie would borrow her daughter's, as our family camera technically belongs to my sweetie, and it's with him and the kids right now, camping. I even packed my own memory card - but Sophie forgot the camera! As she says "All the more reason to do this again!"

8/08/2005 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Lobster Blogster said...

Wow! And I thought Canada was boring.

8/09/2005 01:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

H'lo: hey, another Mac and Heard Islander! So, where is that exactly? (I asked that question of the last one I ran across, then promptly lost his address and couldn't check to see if he'd answered the question...)

8/09/2005 07:31:00 AM  
Blogger Lobster Blogster said...

Hey easy, I see these things from under the sea and its all pretty murky down here. If you've got hard questions like that you should find yourself a top search engine like "Ask Jeeves".

8/09/2005 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

I ought to be, I've been practicing long enough! :-)

Just wait until the weekend, then you can spend Sunday afternoon thinking pleasant thoughts about me getting the ever livin' beaten out of me!

8/09/2005 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Looking forward to it!

No, not really! Been to enough of those things (as a spectator) that I understand too well that those falls - whomp! - are for real and leave bruises and stiff muscles as souveniers of the day.

8/09/2005 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Those islanders, I tell ya. Cryptic lot. I have a murky feeling I'm on the outside of an inside joke...

8/09/2005 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Did I mention that I put up another picture today? ;-)

8/09/2005 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

Oh fun! I love Montreal. It is so pretty. Hopefully I will end up there for my masters. I can dream anyways.

8/09/2005 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: Oh, stooop! nyah,nyah to you, too. I'll pop over and see itthen, shall I?

Haley: Masters at McGill? In anthropology? Does McGill have a French language requirement?

8/09/2005 03:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home