Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Musical Meme

List ten songs that you are currently digging. It doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other random people to see what they're listening to. This meme courtesty of IEatCrayonz. Although I have not, nor ever expect, to be "digging" anything except perhaps in my garden. Child of the sixties though I may be, much of my time spent in that decade was spent in diapers and pre-verbal. But ten songs I like? No problem. The only problem will be keeping it to ten. 1. Right now I'm listening to Tracey Chapman, the New Beginning album. My favourite from that: Give me One Reason. 2. Album: Time Out Group: The Dave Brubeck Quartet Favourite Track: Take Five 3. Album: Sunshine on Leith Group: The Proclaimers Track: I'm Gonna Be (I would walk 500 miles) 4. Album: Genius of Modern Music Artist: Thelonius Monk Track: Round Midnight 5. Album: Shrek soundtrack There are three tracks I love on this, and I'm counting them as one choice. Deal with it. I'm a Believer, Smash Mouth; Bad Reputation, Half Cocked; and my really, truly favourite: Hallelujah (written by Leonard Cohen), sung by Rufus Wainwright. 6. Album: A.J. Croce Artist: A. J. Croce (yes, son of Jim) Favourite: He's got a way with Women (because it's punchy, and because of the way the verse ends: "...and he just got away with mine".) 7. Album: Wise and Otherwise Artist: Harry Manx Favourite: Only then will Your House Be Blessed 8. Album: Horn Concertos Composer: W. A. Mozart Favourite: Number 2 in E flat major 9. Album: Practical Man Artist: Tom Lips Favourite: Honesty; This Love is a Weed (Yes, I know this is two. See number 5.) 10. Album: Greatest Hits Group: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Favourite: I Won't Back Down Oh, and as for tagging people. It's up to you, folks: Who wants a go? If you decide to do it, just email me or leave a comment here, so we'll know to check in on your list.

8 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

I, too, dig #s 2, 3, Hallelujah (it makes me a little weepy, each time), and 10.

8/24/2005 04:47:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'll play! Come check it out!

8/24/2005 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

My children know every single word of 'I'm Gonna Be' (and most of the other child-appropriate and danceable songs on that album).

Charlie refers to the band as the 'Reclimers.'

We love them.

8/24/2005 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Susan, things just keep coming up that make me crush on you...and here's another! *MY* kids know that song, too. LOVE IT!

(And Pete and I walk around the house singing it, with the Irish accent and everything. Don't you want to come to my house now?)

8/24/2005 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Oh, and not to hijack, Mary, but I just have to add this:

Sometimes we even sing it SO not p.c. and SO naughtily..."And I would drink 500 beers and I would drink 500 more, just to be the man who drinks 500 beers and falls down on your floor."

*grin*

But only when the kids aren't around.

8/24/2005 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Misfit: I love Hallelujah so much because it mixes the sacred and the sensual so exquisitely. If you know the stories the song's referring to, it's tremendously poignant. Make me weepy and horny all at the same time...

Heather did it, too! Check her out!

Susan: I have very happy memories of picking up children and spinning round and round to the joyous "ba-da-ba-pa" reprise between verses. Such fun!

As to "age-appropriate" lyrics, were you reading when I wrote this post?

Misfit: I want to come to your house! Can Susan and I both come?? And I'll even sing the illicit version - though I think my kids would like it, too. Cuz they're older than yours.

8/25/2005 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Yea! Thanks for playing. I listened to the Tracy Chapman CD over and over and over when I was in college. It is so good, definitely my style.

I'm kicking myself for forgetting to put a classical music song on my list. I even had one picked out.

And I think I may have to get that Shrek CD - sounds like a favorite!

8/25/2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Mary P, that old post is a hoot! I've had that same experience recently, except we were listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And I should have known better.

8/25/2005 03:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home