Monday, August 01, 2005

Sing My Baby to Sleep

We just bought a couple of new CDs by a fellow named Tom Lips, and I'm loving them. He's a terrific lyricist, and a fascinating mix of total goofball and complete romantic. So you'll find yourself listening to a poignant ballad on one track - one or two actually brought a lump to my throat - and then laughing out loud to something completely wacko on the next. Take, for example, "Big Rocks are Falling", a gentle lullaby in the soothing tradition of Rock-a-Bye Baby. Let's have the first verse and chorus, shall we? (To actually listen to a bit of it, go here.) Go to sleep, my little darling, 'Cause you know you're safe now, right where you are. Just don't go peeking out the window, 'Cause a great big boulder Just crushed our car. Chorus: Big rocks are falling from the blue sky, Falling thick and fast Falling by the score. Big rocks are falling from the blue sky, So go to sleep now baby, Weep no more. Shocked? Then you've never stayed up for long, dark hours, trying with increasing desperation to calm that howling fruit of your loins. Those of who have understand the cathartic value of a little dark humour. Crooning this to our fractious child at three in the morning is a blessedly wholesome way to sublimate those dark urges that arise within the sleep-deprived brain at such times. All of you with under-twos should buy the disk for that one song!!

7 Comments:

Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Heh, heh. I curse the night when Lauren no longer sleeps through it.

You have to admit, those lyrics aren't too far from the original.

"And down will come baby, cradle and all"
-Sounds a little morose if you ask me. Yikes!

8/01/2005 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Let me again recommend the Philadelphia Chickens cd, which (although slightly less dark) has the same wackiness--including a song about buddies who nap all day and party all night.

And the darkness? I like that. Where was this guy when my kids were babies?

8/01/2005 07:47:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I haven't paid much attention to lullabies for the past 30 years but now that we have the babies I have started to listen to more of these songs.

I've come to the conclusion that these lyricists are sickos. Babies falling from trees? Clementine drowning in a foamy brine? Songs about spiders (I don't care how itsy bitsy that spider is, it's still a hairy arachnid)?

And people are worried about video games?!

8/02/2005 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

WHAAA? I used to have nightmares when my Mom made me say my "Now I lay me's" every night as a kid ("But Mommy, why would I die befor eI wake?". My head would have exploded if I had heard this one as a youth!!!

8/02/2005 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Matthew: yup. Lullabies have always had their weird side. Some are truly sweet - I had a tape of them when mine were little. But the one we sang most often to our (colicky) first went something like this (tune of Brahm's lullaby), "Go to sleep, little girl, anddon'twakeuptillsixo'clockinthemorning. You had to race that last phrase together to get it to fit the song, but it was heartfelt!

Hausfrau: There are obviously some kids to whom you couldn't sing this stuff! You'd be among them. Maybe the reason my lot all took it in stride is that they'd received a steady diet of it from birth. Mummy has a strong sense of irony.

8/03/2005 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

I rarely sang to the princesses, but I would often hold them while surfing the internet late at night. Hold them in my left arm and operate the mouse with my right hand. It works pretty well. Many a night they've fallen asleep to the soft gentle glow of daddy's laptop LCD screen. :-)

8/03/2005 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: very sweet. Little computer nerdettes in the making. :-)

8/03/2005 02:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home