Thursday, September 15, 2005

Dr. Freud, Jr.

A heap of duplo rattles on my livingroom floor as the three boys crouched around it sift and sort through the mass of primary-coloured blocks. Harry, George, and Darcy, each busily stacking the blocks into towers and helicopters, garages and truck, dogs and trees. All their creations look strikingly similar: skyscrapers of varying heights, layers of red, blue, green and yellow. George notices Harry's tower. It is by far the tallest any of them have managed to create thus far. "What is it, Harry?" George's voice is squeaky with interest. "It's an alarm clock." Harry is quite sure of this. "An alarm clock? What for?" "For emergencies. It's on the town hall. The bell will ring for emergencies." George scans the height of it. "It's very tall." Harry considers this a moment. "Yes. Yes, it is very tall. I guess it could be a penis."

9 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

I had to stifle my laughter because my daughter would ask me what's funny and then I'd have to tell her and the neighbor girl is over and I don't know where they stand on penis discussions!

(How's that for a run-on sentence??)

9/15/2005 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger McSwain said...

Oh my.

9/15/2005 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

hmm, one wonders what sort of conversations Harry has at home?

9/15/2005 03:01:00 PM  
Anonymous MIM said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

What does Harry's father look like?

9/15/2005 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Homestead said...

You'll never be able to look at Harry's father the same way again, will you?!

9/15/2005 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

misfit: The things you can't say around the neighbour's kids, huh? Now that my kids are teens (or close enough) I rarely bother censoring myself. I mortify my kids from time to time, but their friends all think I'm the coolest mom out there... I see this as the best of both worlds!

cheryl: Freud said women had penis envy. How patently ridiculous. The only ones who really worry about the size of 'em are men.

Mrs. A: They strike me as a pretty open and frank kind of couple. No squeamishness there - as is evidenced by young Harry!

mim: His father?? Good lord, I had never considered that comment in relation to his father prior to this very second! Now I'm rolling aroundlaughing. Weeell, let's see... His father is quite tall, and does have rather large hands and feet...

homestead: Generally I don't look at the dads through that window at all, but now that you and Mim have put the idea in my head, I won't be able to shake it, that's for sure.

I guess, when you're only 3 feet tall and dad is over 6 feet tall, and you're looking straight up, everything looks a little larger than life.

9/15/2005 06:00:00 PM  
Anonymous MIM said...

I KNEW IT!

9/16/2005 12:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Matthew said...

Oh, there it is! I misplaced it for a while.

9/16/2005 01:10:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

mim: ...and kind of a big nose... (cackles of raucous laughter here!)

matthew: gee. I have some experience with those things, though not as much as someone who actually owns one, but I had no idea they could actually be misplaced. You learn something new. lol

9/16/2005 07:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home