Thursday, September 01, 2005

Feeling Wistful

Feeling wistful today. Not because I go back to work today. Not because my eldest is back to school after a brief visit. Not even because my two younger children go back to school on Monday. Wistful because I picked these up on the three block walk home from the bus stop. The trees are still green, yet there are leaves on the ground. Just a few, here and there. Not all over the ground. Not the crisp, crunchy, crackling carpet that is to come. Which, I admit, I love - it's one of my favourite sounds, that whish and crackle round my feet as I kick through the drifts of leaves. But it's coming. Fall is coming. And, while I love the soft amber light of warm autumn afternoons, though I relish cool, crisp mornings, though I glory in the blaze of colour that is autumn in this part of the world, autumn is also the harbinger of winter. The fading of the light. Long nights, crackling-with-cold days. It's not the loss of warmth that makes me wistful, though, it's the fading of the light. Evenings that start at 3:00 in the afternoon, full dark by 4:00. Sunrise at 8:00. I mourn the fading of the light.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I mourn the fading of the light...and the high cost of HEATING OIL. ACK!!!!

All houses on this military base are heated this way.

oi.

maybe I could burn some pretty leaves?

9/01/2005 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Oh, you could play pioneers, just like "The Long Winter" (Laura Ingalls Wilder book)! They used straw, though. Your boys would love it. For about ten minutes.

I guess retrofits aren't allowed on bases, huh. And no point if you end up being posted to another PMQ - with oil heating... Poor you!

9/01/2005 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Ahh...but you can have a steaming bowl of yummy soup while a roaring fire blazes in the fireplace...

9/01/2005 02:11:00 PM  
Anonymous M&Co. said...

Fall always makes me blue for the same reasons. Though evenings start here about 5 with full dark by 6:00. I first noticed it the other night, when it was fully dark at 8:30.

9/01/2005 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Lory: Well, we can have the soup - great winter comfort food! - but, as the chimney is capped, a fire would have similar results as my tortilla episode today. Once is enough.

M&Co: Fall is a poignant season. Very lovely in itself, but a fleeting prelude to the dark. Ah, well. December 21 is coming, right?!

9/01/2005 07:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home