Tuesday, September 06, 2005

If You Dream it You Can Achieve It. Maybe.

Harry is industriously shoving a doll under his shirt. "I. Ah put..ting this baby uh-, baby uh-nur my shir' so. It. Can. Gu-woe," he declares to the room at large in his peculiar start and stop enunciation. It's an idea that is very well received by the other two three-year-olds. In seconds, all three older boys have similar lumps in their fronts. "We're just waiting for our babies, so they can be borned." George explains to Zach, who watches, intrigued, and pokes the occasional lump. "I'm geh-in fa', because my bay. My bay-be is growin'. And tha', makes me fah-at." "Yeah, he's growing, and soon you will be so fat, and that will mean he's getting ready to be born." George pats Harry's bump. Darcy echoes George, and pats his own bump. "He's getting ready. My baby's still in my tummy. He's sleepin' in my tummy. But sometimes he wakes up and gives me a kick." "MY baby is a girl!" declares Harry. "And you can sing to your baby in there," Darcy declares. "First I will sing," George agrees, "and now I'm resting, because my baby makes me tired." "Yes. Babies make a mommy tired," Harry nods sagely. "You know what, guys?" George observes. "When we grow up, we will be good mommies."

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I wish you could hear me laughing (maybe you can, it's THAT funny).

9/06/2005 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ah...little boys. What goes awry when they get big? I am surprised no one tried their hand at breastfeeding. Owen used to give it a whirl with Mr. Moo when Harry was a baby.

Thats just too darned cute!!

9/06/2005 01:53:00 PM  
Anonymous MIM said...

Too CUTE!!

Heather, Tod-lar has also tried breastfeeding!

9/06/2005 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

LOVE. IT.

(Hi!!)

9/06/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Susan: Aren't they great? This is probably the single best thing about the job!

Heather: Well, of course they weren't breast-feeding yet, they were still gestating! It's got to come out before you can feed it.

MIM: I recall with great fondness the times when my boy (now 16, then 3) used to breast-feed his cabbage patch baby by shoving it up under his shirt and into the region of his armpit. His father, observing him one day, shook his head ruefully and remarked, "You are in for a big disappointment, kiddo." But he didn't burst the poor kid's bubble that day!

Misfit: Hey there! How's NY? Has the wedding happened already? And this was the abridged version - the real time conversation went on for quite a bit longer. It was hysterical!

9/06/2005 08:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Matthew said...

Yeah, future sensitive mommies, er, I mean, Daddies!

Go George! Go Harry! Go Darcy!

9/07/2005 02:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home