Friday, September 30, 2005

Inspiration is Hard to Come By

Sitting at my laptop, trying to think of what to write. The boys are playing in the kitchen with the blocks. I'm taking advantage of the lull caused by their busy-ness. What to write, what to write? The boys thunder by from the kitchen door on my left to the living room on my right, "Let's go to the aparta-ment!" "Yeah! Let's go." They vanish through the living room door. The dust settles. The pictures sit slightly skewed on the wall. I continue my musing. The boys thunder by from right to left, "Let's built an aparta-ment!" "Yeah! Let's build one!" "With balconies!" They disappear into the kitchen. A plastic block falls off the end table, twirls, stops. The monitor on my laptop stops trembling. I resume pondering, scribble on the pad at my left. The boys thunder by from left to right. "We need some books for the aparta-ment!" "Yeah, and a pillow!" I grab my water bottle before it vibrates right off the table, tap my fingers along it gently as I look vaguely upward, seeking inspiration in the middle distance. The boys thunder by from right to left. "You can be the fireman!" "Yeah! And you can be the policeman!" "And I will be the garbageman!" The cat yowls as he's trampled underfoot, then stalks away upstairs, twitching with injured dignity. There's an idea in my mind, if I could only catch it. The boys thunder by from left to right. "We need the tools to fix it!" "Yeah! Let's get the tools!" "And some more books!" The violin on the bench beside me hums softly. A bib slip gently off the high chair tray and rustles onto the floor. The idea is there, it's coming, it's coming... The boys thunder by from right to left. "Maybe the elephant can do it!" "Yeah. Or a giraffe." "My gramma has giraffes on her coffee table!" A pencil rolls off the table, rattles on the floor. I pick it up and the idea slips away. I dunno. I just can't seem to get focussed today. Can't imagine why.

16 Comments:

Blogger Stephen (aka Q) said...

What was that you said? Couldn't hear you over all the thundering.
Q

9/30/2005 02:19:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

This is so lovely. And sounds so much like my house.

Sometimes I need to be reminded how lovely interruptions and thundering can be.

And a giraffe, too!

9/30/2005 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Sometimes when I sit in my empty house I remember the sound of elephants and infant imagineerings.

Can't beat childrens' imagination! :-)

CQ

9/30/2005 06:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Sharkey said...

I know how you feel, and I don't have any kiddos running around to interrupt my thoughts. I just haven't had any bloggable thoughts lately.

10/01/2005 01:11:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Excellent. The princess version is quite similar; different pretendings and slightly lower volume level, but very similar.

10/01/2005 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Q: LOL. That's it exactly! You understand, I can tell.

Susan: The difference, I think, is that you have a career beyond your little thunderers, whereas the thunderers are my career, and the other stuff is the interruption. I suppose that's always the tension for parents, though, isn't it? And yes, they are lovely, raucous as they may be!

craziequeen: Funny little munchkins they are, too. It was entertaining just to grab those snippets of the ongoing game as it thundered by me in the middle. I've still no real idea what it was all about - and it was more fun that way!

Sharkey: Sometimes you hit a lull, and there's not much you can do about it. I'm lucky in that all I have to do is have a pen at the ready, and my little munchkins give me constant inspiration!

Simon: Kids is kids, and isn't it fun? Although my boys are likely more physically rowdy than your princesses, odds are good your two could talk circles round my boys - even Harry!

10/01/2005 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Mary,
I expect to see your name on a children's book one day. (You have written plenty to begin a parenting book but I expect to see a children's book in which a few boys construct a lovely apartment building--with the help of an elephant and giraffe, of course!)

10/02/2005 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Mary P! Did you get spammed?

And how funny that it's on THIS post, and that they are offering you an ALARM! Because that is JUST what you need, yes?

10/02/2005 05:19:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Lory: Oh, you mean a kid's book as in a book for kids! You know, I've never considered that. I should start practicing on the kids now, and could be the next Robert Munsch!

Susan: Strange, that. Spam usually turns up within a couple of minutes of posting, so I get rid of them before you ever see them. This one, well - he was a bit slow off the mark. No alarms for me, thanks...

Can you imagine a motion-sensitive one? In my house? LOL

10/02/2005 06:00:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Mary--that's exactly what I meant. I meant nothing negative by that. I love your blog and your writing resonates with parents and adults but you could probably even show Robert Munsch a thing or two! You know kids and while I read this blog entry, I could see you writing for children just as well as you write about them.

Then again, that might mean less time for this blog and I love reading your stories here!

10/02/2005 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Well, thank you. In fact, I do see this blog as a source/practice ground for future writing endeavours. Who knows?

10/03/2005 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger doer said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a better sex life related website, hope that it is useful to you

10/12/2005 06:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pretty much covers Replica related stuff.

10/19/2005 08:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enjoyed it and I will be adding it to my favorites. I have a really cool

10/22/2005 07:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

10/23/2005 11:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about florida waterskiing camps
. You can check it out at florida waterskiing camps
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

10/27/2005 03:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home