Thursday, September 22, 2005

Pity the 12-year-old Boy

Emma is complaining to Adam about the boys in the lunchroom. “They keep daring each other to go sit at the girls’ table!” she moans. “That doesn’t sound so bad to me,” observes the momma. “But for a twelve-year-old boy,” Adam explains to his mother, who hasn’t been in a grade seven lunch room for some while, ‘daring’ means pushing, shouting, and throwing him right at the girls’ table.” Oh, that’s right. I remember now. Seems things haven’t changed all that much in the intervening decades. “The problem is,” I observe, “That a twelve-year-old boy expresses his interest to the girls the same way as he would with the other boys.” Adam likes this. “Yeah! Because he hasn’t really figured out that 12-year-old girls are different. He acts as if she’s interested in things a 12-year-old boy is interested in.” “Which is why,” Emma chimes in, “We’re not interested in 12-year-old boys.” A sad catch-22 for the love-stricken 12-year-old boy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

You know, some days I'd almost rather have the pushing, throwing and shouting than the overly-sexual, semi-incomprehensible pick-up lines delivered by drunken 20-year-olds surrounded by their cheering friends.

Come to that, have their tactics really changed that much?

9/22/2005 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm with Haley on this one.

9/22/2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Is this an example of "boys will be boys"?

9/22/2005 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen (aka Q) said...

Love-stricken. That's one way of putting it.
Q

9/22/2005 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

LOL. You cynic, you! "Lust-stiken"? Star-struck? Just the normal rise of hormones that they have no idea what to do with.

9/22/2005 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

That's why I always went for the quiet, loner types.

MUCH easier to communicate with them than the loud, safety-in-numbers boys.

9/22/2005 07:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

You're one of the smart ones. I didn't find my quiet one until my second go-round, and very happy I am! Communicate? My, how we talk.

9/23/2005 08:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home