Friday, October 14, 2005

Hockey's Back!

The boys are taking a road trip. Settled in the rocking chair, George and Darcy are driving down the highway, the big highway that goes to Toronto. After much discussion, it is determined that they are going to see a hockey game. We have Leafs fans in our midst? Evidently the traffic on the 401 westbound is intense this morning, judging from the number of vroom-vrooms, screeches, and honking of horns that ensue over the next few minutes. This wears a boy down after a while, and Darcy, the driver on the right, has an idea. "Let's stop when we get to the next Tim Hortons!" "Okay, yeah! And get some Timbits. Do you like hockey, Darcy?" "Yes. My daddy plays hockey with me." "I like hockey, too. My daddy will take me to a hockey game because I know all about hockey." George exudes calm confidence. This is quite a feat, given the boy is three and a half years old, and there was no NHL hockey last year at all. "The Senators? That's my favourite team." "No, that's not the best team." "The 67s?" "No, that's not the best team, either." "The Maple Leafs? The Canadians?" My jaw drops as Darcy rattles off all the teams in a 500 km radius. "The Flames?" Wow! 500 km and then some. Clearly someone around here is a hockey fan! George, however, from his heights of hockey knowledge, poo-poos all these suggestions. Darcy is confused. "That's all the hockey teams there is, George!" Okay. He's good, but he's not perfect. "No, it's not. That's not the best team. No, my favourite hockey team is the Red Sox."

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Did the boys really get to see the Leafs give Atlanta a huge spanking? 9 - 1 Toronto! Whoa!

10/14/2005 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Atlanta who?

What do you expect from a place with no snow?

10/14/2005 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

LOL!
My son calls both hockey and baseball "golf!" (Still swinging at something, I suppose...)
My daughter, older but not much more of a sports fan, know the terms but not the object of the game. To her, hockey is "ice-skating but you get to use sticks."
I am a proud mama but you won't see my kids on ESPN.

10/15/2005 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Lory: LOL. It's good to have a clear head about the particular abilities and lack thereof of your offspring, I say. Now, George, albeit his parents are more brainers than brawners, may just end up on ESPN: he loves, loves, loves anything athletic: plays soccer, tennis, hockey, you name it, with equal enthusiasm. And he is only three!

10/15/2005 07:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Hey, Eric!!!: You should get your own blog! :-)

10/15/2005 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger michael said...

no wonder the Red Sox lost to Chicago, they thought they were playing hockey. That explains it :)

10/16/2005 04:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home