Monday, October 31, 2005

Imaginary Friends

The boys are looking out the front window, taut with interest. "Hey, there's the beer man!!" Darcy yodels. "Yeah, wow!" The other boys are thrilled. "Hey, beer man! Beer man!" Beer man? I amble on over to the window, very casually. If there's a beer man out there, I wouldn't want to be the one to scare him off. I peer over their shoulders. Nothing but the bleak grey drizzle we've had for the better part of two weeks. Rather demoralizing after a while. A fortifying pint has a distinct appeal right now. George nudges Darcy. "Look! The beer man brings boxes of beer." Boxes? The eerie thing is, they're all staring at the same point in space on the sidewalk just in front of my porch. I can almost hear the clink of bottles as the boxes thud down. And if there is an invisible beer man in my neighbourhood, how do these underage milk-drinkers rate? Where's my beer man??

12 Comments:

Blogger craziequeen said...

Where's my beer man........?

[sob]

how come the kids get all the fun..?

cq

10/31/2005 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

When you find him, would you send him this way? Soon? Please?

10/31/2005 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger McSwain said...

Think you could ask them to send the Beer Man's evil twin, the Margarita Man to my house? If he's not available, I'll take the Vodka Martini Man.

10/31/2005 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

You know, your kids seem to spend a lot of their time playing drinking games! Is it something about you? Mstr A doesn't even know what beer is & he's 5!

11/01/2005 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

My kingdom for a Beer Man...

11/01/2005 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Just read Q's blog. Congrats on being an "Author"!

11/01/2005 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

CQ: You've caught my emotional tenor absolutely. Where is my beer man??

Susan: Of course! Once I'm through with him, he's all yours...

Cheryl: Margarita Man! What a great idea - bet I know where he lives, too, ar, ar, ar... I'd also be partial to a G&T man bytimes.

MrsA: Doesn't he? I seem to recall him saying once that it made people do silly things. At any rate, I'm quite sure it's not me! I never drink beer when the kids are around, nor even talk about it. It must come from their parents. :-) Last I heard, it came from their mothers!! LOL

And thanks for the congrats. It's a small thing, but I feel good about it!

11/01/2005 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Oh no, generic Alcohol makes people do silly things. He doesn't know there are different types of alcohol.

Actually, he may think that everything other than milk, water & fruit juice are alcohol as I tell him "it's bad for you" or "it's not for children" to everything else.

Cruel & evil aint I?

11/01/2005 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Cruel and evil, or just practical. Why make your life more difficult by giving your children too much detail??

11/01/2005 02:09:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

"The beer man brings boxes of beer."

Closest we get here is the pizza man bringing boxes of pizza. Hmmmm....maybe if I slip him a better tip...

11/02/2005 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Lory: Boxes and boxes of beer! Mine came free of charge and unasked for, but only, sadly, available to those with eyes to see.

11/02/2005 01:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to say the children were right but he was just hiding behind the hedge.

5 Stars Beer and Liquor Delivery Service
Ottawa, ON
Canada

11/02/2005 02:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home