Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Time for an Object Lesson, Part 1

George and Darcy are playing with the hobby-horses in the kitchen. Harry, attracted to the game, blunders in and hauls at the horse in George's hands. George tightens his grip and a tussle ensues, both boys bellowing their outrage. Only one party's outrage is at all justified, of course, but that's never stopped a toddler. I intervene, speaking at first, then forcibly pulling Harry's hands off the toy when I am ignored. "Harry. You cannot just walk in and take someone's toy away." "I like it." Sincerity blazes from Harry's eyes. We've been down this road too many times, Harry and I. I am completely out of patience with this particular self-justification. I'm not sure whether the boy is just dense, and genuinely doesn't "get it", or whether his inability to abide by this simple standard is wilfull. At this point, it doesn't really matter. It is clear that my calm and rational explanations and redirections have been ineffective. It is time for a little hardball. "That's a nice sweater you're wearing, Harry." It is a nice sweater - a cardigan, really. Hand made, I'd guess, in a complicated nordic pattern, its wide collar cradles his chin in bright colours, the whole thing warm, soft and appealing. "Did someone make it for you?" "My granny made it." "It's very nice. I like it. I bet it's warm, too." "Yes, it is warm." "It's a lovely sweater," I say, as I start to unbutton it. "I really, really like it."

9 Comments:

Blogger Aginoth said...

it'll never fit you know

10/19/2005 08:02:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Don't stop the writing there! I want to read the description of his response. I imagine it involved some very wide-open eyes and indignation?

10/19/2005 08:21:00 AM  
Blogger The June Cleaver Diaries said...

PERFECT! As usual, thanks for the tip!

10/19/2005 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

AAHHHH!! I need the rest of the story! That is such a GREAT idea! I'm so totally gonna use that.....

10/19/2005 08:41:00 AM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Heh heh. Your kiddie improv is top notch.

10/19/2005 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

LOL!
Of coure, if Harry were my C, I know I'd hear, "Here! If I give you my sweater, can I have the horse??"

10/19/2005 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

What HAPPENED next?

10/19/2005 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

aginoth: Pity, that. Perhaps I can get granny to knit me one?

SNMartha: Fun, isn't it?? You're welcome!

Crayonz: I was pretty pleased with it myself. You don't always get these brainwaves when you need them!

Lory: LOL. Lucky for me he's not here, but the challenge would be stimulating, I can tell!

Simon, Jill, Misfit: heh, heh. Your response is soooo gratifying. Hear me humming: "I wrote a cliff-hanger po-ost". Not to worry: the next installment will arrive momentarily, having been written last night!

10/19/2005 12:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good resource here. I would also link to auto body part

10/29/2005 06:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home