Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Well, It Usually Works

My nineteen year old daughter is home from university in another city, and has popped in for a visit. Harry, the social and curious animal that he is, races over to check her out. "What's your name?" "Haley." "What's your name?" "My name is Haley." "What's your name?" Harry can see he's on to a good thing here. The question has riveted her attention, so why quit with a good thing? Haley is too experienced to be ruffled by this, though, and responds with a warm smile. "You know my name. I just told you. What's my name?" "Haley." "That's right. And what's your name?" "Harry." "Hello, Harry. Nice to meet you." The niceties accomplished, she turns to continue our conversation, but there is no way young Harry will give up the conversational ball and her attention so easily as that. He starts his next sentence using the word most trusted by three-year-olds to keep both ball and attention firmly in their control: "Why..." You can see the wheels turning: 'Okay, so far, so good. She's still looking at me. Only, what comes next? Oh! Brainstorm!': "... is your name Haley?" Haley laughs out loud. "Well, that's a silly question," she chuckles. "Why is your name Harry?" Harry's a bit miffed at being laughed at, and he doesn't have a good response. He thinks it over for a minute, then decides his dignity is best served by absenting himself. As he leaves the room, he tosses over his shoulder, his voice rich with disdain: "That's a silly question, Haley."

12 Comments:

Blogger LoryKC said...

LOL!

10/11/2005 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Mstr A spent most of his 4th year asking why he was named his name, and could he change it to one of any number of alternatives. I explained that we'd spent a lot of time & effort chosing just the right name for him, and that's why he had to use it, and if he still didn't like it when he was 18, he could change it then.

For a while he told me what he was going to change it to when he was 18, but that soon got boring:-)

So many times have I heard "mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy" & when I finally ask "what" I see their little cogs spinning double time to work out what to say now they've got my attention!

10/11/2005 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Go Harry! :-)

CQ

10/11/2005 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger CyberKitten said...

Ah... the Wisdom of a 3 Year old.... COOL.

10/11/2005 04:55:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

MrsA: Poor Mstr A! I'm sure it's a perfectly suitable name, as he will have discovered by the time he gets to an age to mess with it!

I have an unusual first name, which I really like. However, when I was nineteen or so, I actually did change my name! For starters, my first name, the one I like, had been misspelled on my birth certificate, so that had to be corrected before I married (I was engaged already, silly girl that I was). And while I was at it, I decided to remove my two AWFUL middle names, one from each grandmother. When I approached said grandmothers about my plan, my maternal one was in full approval: "I always thought giving you that name was an awful thing to do to a little baby!" (She'd gone by her middle name all her life because she hated the first one so.)

CQ: Does this mean that on those days when Harry has gotten thoroughly under my skin I can send him your way?? Please?

CK: Well, at least he picked up that lesson very quickly!

10/12/2005 08:21:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

The princesses like their names, thankfully. The Queen of All She Surveys wanted nice English sounding names. In fact we like their names so much, that we tend to call them by both their first and middle names most of the time (not just when they're in trouble).

And, as a kid, I always like my name. I wasn't sure that I like my middle name for a while, but soon got over it and started enjoying it. Some of my friends seem to like it even more than I do and call me Simon Peter, rather than just Simon.

10/12/2005 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: As you know, I honestly thought your name was a pseudonym at first: Simon Peter Chappell, of all things, for a self-decloared "good church boy". Course, if it were a pseudonym, it would display a heck of an ego - perhaps even a measure of inappropriate pridefulness, so it's just as well it's really yours!

10/12/2005 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

After that kissing purity quiz, where I got a lower purity score than you, I'm not so sure that I qualify as a "good" church boy anymore!

10/12/2005 06:25:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Now you're just bragging! LOL

10/12/2005 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Hold that thought - I'm buying my ticket!! :-)

CQ

10/13/2005 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

No, no, no - I don't want him here, I've got him here already! I want to send him there! Ooo - better yet: you come here and I'll go there! Swap you! I could handle being a civil servant for a week or two, if I got to travel while doing it, and you could romp with the kiddies in the park in the glorious fall!

10/13/2005 05:41:00 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

You're on - where do I sign up?? :-)

I would gladly swap belting up and down the M5 (well, crawling more like) to go to boring meetings with children in Ontario in the Fall :-)
(oh the English language - I don't go to boring meetings with children - if I did they wouldn't be boring, would they??)

CQ

10/13/2005 05:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home