Monday, October 03, 2005

You Gotta Watch those Germs

The boys are playing blocks and trains on the kitchen floor. I am so glad I brought that tray of toys out! I'm helping to add another block, verrrry carefullly, to the precarious top of a teetering tower. Darcy trots over and tugs at my sleeve. The tower stays upright. "Mary, I saw some germs on the kitchen floor." Ah, to be young and keen of eye! I've no doubt his eyesight for fine detail is better than mine, but I'd no idea it was as acute as all that. Impressive, no? "You did! Where?" "Right onna floor by the garbage can." "Well, that would be where you'd find germs, all right. Can you show me?" He indicates a nebulous area in front of the can. I peer down, but beyond an escapee carrot peeling, I don't see anything untoward. I indicate the peeling, and he looks at me with mild derision. "That's not germs, Mary, that's a piece of a carrot." Of course. Silly me. "Well, I don't see any germs, Darcy. Are you sure they're still here?" "No, they're gone now, but I touched one, and it didn't feel good." "Oh, dear. Would you like to wash your hands now?" "Yes, please." I've now scoured the floor under and around the garbage can, because you never know, you know...

8 Comments:

Blogger CyberKitten said...

Maybe you should buy him a microscope.... Or maybe he already IS one.....

10/03/2005 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

"That's not germs, Mary, that's a piece of a carrot."
That's had me laughing out loud. Like, duh, Mum. Can't you tell the difference? :)

10/03/2005 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Cyberkitten: Well, that might explain the wandering eye... (Not THAT kind of wandering eye, a literal one. His parents are having it seen to...)

Haley: That line had me snorting, too. "Duh" was clearly his attitude toward me at that moment.

10/03/2005 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger CyberKitten said...

Have you seen X-Men? You might want to keep one eye on him for other abilities... If he starts flying around the room you might want to keep the number of a chat show host handy....

10/03/2005 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Cyberkitten: Well. There's a thought. You can give me the numbers of some hosts on that side of the pond, in case we go international.

10/03/2005 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

That's funny.

We haven't had that yet. For girls, the princesses are fairly relaxed about the concept of dirt and germs. Other than the washing of hands after visiting the bathroom or before sitting down to eat, we've tried not to make them overly paranoid about being clean.

10/04/2005 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Generally, Darcy is your standard-issue toddler on the cleanliness front (unlike fastidious George), which is to say, not at all concerned. However, Darcy's mother informed me that I was wise to take it seriously, well, semi-seriously.

Apparently, last week he was having a bath with his younger sister, and complained that there was "garbage" in the bathtub. Dad, who was reading while supervising, glanced into the tub to see that baby sister had had a BM - "garbage", for sure!

10/04/2005 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Roving germs?!?! I'd scour the floor too!

10/04/2005 02:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home