Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The children have a WTF moment...

"Only you gots red mittens, Zach!" Harry enthuses. "Yeah, only you!" Darcy is right in there. Not to be left out, George ensures that the point is made crystal clear. "Not Harry, only you!" "Not Darcy, only you!" "Only you!" "Only you!" Mary, in a stream-of-consciousness moment engendered by partial attention to the "conversation" and a need to find Zach's other boot, intones in a gravelly, bear-like voice, "Only You...Can Prevent Forest Fires." Dead silence falls. Four heads turn my direction, four pairs of eyes stare incomprehending for a blank moment, and then as one, they turn from me and resume regularly schedulled programming. Adults!

7 Comments:

Blogger Aginoth said...

Kids...never appreciate solid gold humour :)

11/02/2005 03:25:00 PM  
Blogger chosha said...

No, though they often provide it. :)

11/02/2005 06:55:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Adult humor is not often appreciated here, either.
Thanks for posting it though--I enjoyed it!

11/03/2005 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

Haha. I have to stop reading your blog in the public computer labs. I couldn't help but giggle at that, which caused many a curious eye to look my way.

Laughing in the lab is just about as taboo as screaming in the library, it seems.

11/03/2005 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Aginoth: Thanks! "Solid gold humour". I'll take it!

Chosa: They do indeed. One of the perks of my job, which more than makes up for running noses and bottoms. Most days.

Lory: Unappreciated adult humour is one of the reasons adults who deal with children a lot develop a slightly dark humour. "If I can't laugh with you, I'll laugh at you." In the most affectionate of ways, of course.

Haley: As long as you're not snorting coffee out your nose and onto the keyboard, they should be able to deal with it!!

11/03/2005 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

My husband wonders why I sit here laughing while he's entranced by Star Trek. Did Spock do something funny? No, it's Mary P. again.

11/07/2005 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Well, thank you! I aim to please. :-)

11/07/2005 10:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home