Friday, November 18, 2005

Christmas is Coming, the Crafts are All Begun

Today's Christmas craft was potato printing. You've all done this, I'm sure. Take a few good-sized potatoes, but not too big for the kids to grasp. Cut them in half. Cut a shape into the flat surface. I generally use cookie-cutters for this. Press the cutter firmly into the potato, then cut away the outside of the shape. Easy! Darcy, here, is using the "slide-n-smear" technique perfected by George a few minutes earlier. George had accidentally slid his star stamp across the page. "Oh, look!" He crowed. "I made a shootin' star!" Vicarious learning is big at this age. A moment later, Darcy is crowing too. "Oh, look! I made a shootin' tree!!" Tip: For the very youngest children, only provide one colour paint. Or, if you want to be clever and educational as well, provide a two primary colours and see what third colour results. N.B. Christmas colours are NOT both primary, so if you want artwork that is not a series of mud-coloured amoeba, give the tots one colour at a time, with enough time between for a little drying to occur. The results, as you can see, are chaotically spectacular!

7 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

i can see the shooting star AND the shooting tree.
..if i close one eye and squint with the other that is.

they all look fabu!!
cept where is the pink for Miss Mia???

11/18/2005 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger ~Lil Nance ;> said...

Hehehe!! How precious!! It funny what we as adults see in a childs drawing versus what they see...

Some of the things my daughter draws I look at and I say "oh honey that is an adorable cow"... (she looks at me like I just killed her dog)... "MOM, it's our house"... oh d-d-d-dear *said in my best winnie the pooh voice*

TGIF!!

11/18/2005 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Shooting tree! That sounds like something we'd have down here in the South.

11/18/2005 04:30:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

aw, Christmas crafts! I want to do Christmas crafts! Think one of those tykes would trade me so that I can do crafts and they can do my literature review?

11/18/2005 06:34:00 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

I love potato painting! Ella totally digs it. Well, she digs painting, regardless of the format.

11/18/2005 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger judypatooote said...

I think I like it.....i always love it when the kids paint and their little arms just happen to lean into the picture, and their sleeve has almost the same amount of paint on it as the picture does.....Nice Job!

11/18/2005 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Kimmyk: Your eyes are better than mine... Miss Mia is outta luck. I figure it's up to me to broaden her colour horizons!

Nancy: Generally speaking, these guys aren't trying to produce anything recognizable at all, they're just having a whale of a time pounding, mushing, smearing, swishing...

Not wanting to risk the "you killed my dog" look, I never even try to guess what it might be! I use that old nursery-school teaching staple: "Oh, it's LOVELY. Why don't you tell me about your picture?"

Crayonz: As in a tree you shoot at?

Haley: How open-minded and creative are your profs? If they can handle a literature review that reads like performance art, we may be able to work something out!

Hausfrau: I love it, too. I've made potato print Christmas wrapping paper before, for my own entertainment and use. I may get the kids to produce a couple of sheets later. Perfect for wrapping gifts to gramma and grampa!

Judypatoote: You're so right about the sleeves. I was very careful to roll their sleeves well up, but little Darcy there went home with a wide band of green on his sweater despite my best efforts! How do they do that?

11/19/2005 07:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home