Friday, November 04, 2005

Now THAT'S Motivation!

From my page-a-day calendar, published by the Uncle John's Bathrom Reader people: November 3 entry:

Uncle John's Stall of Fame

Honoree: Carl Rennie Davis, a pub owner in Strourbridge, England. (Apology to all you English readers: Americans don't seem to realize that other countries subdivide their countries, too. So you'll see American citations as "Columbus, OHIO, USA", but Canadian ones as "Medicine Hat, CANADA". Seems we have no provinces after all. Apparently this principle applies to British citations, too...) Anyway... Background: David installed paddle wheels in the drainpipes of his men's room urinals; then he hooked each one up to a row of vertical lights. How many lights flash depends on how long -- and how "strong" -- the guy pees. Customers can compete to see who can light the most lights, and because extra rows of lights are mounted over the bar, ladies in the pub can follow the action. Well. I gotta get me one of those! I live for the day my bathroom doesn't smell faintly of stale pee...

9 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

Stourbridge, ooohhh, its just up the road from me :-)

Whats the pub name, I can't find any reference.

11/04/2005 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Actually, we English don't always include the county name when mentioning a town. All our towns have unique names, so there would only be one of any given name.

That said, if you think the person your communicating to would not necessarily know where the town was, you'd more likely use the county name as well.

11/04/2005 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

Simon,

Unique names? There are two Albrightons in Shropshire, 12 Newports throughout the UK to name two.

;-)

11/04/2005 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Si: Strangely enough, the calendar didn't say! You'll have to look Mr. Davis up in the phone book, or just call a couple of Stourbridge pubs at random, I guess. If he's still doing it, you'd think every bartender in town would know which one it was!

Simon: I stand corrected. Canadians always use the province as well - as Americans use their states.

It does seem sensible to me that when you're publishing to people on an entirely different continent to include a more specific locator if available.

However, I confess I've just displayed my own culture-centrism, by assuming the Brits do what North Americans do by way of place-naming!

Just saw Si's most recent comment: I'll just let the two of you work it out from here, shall I? LOL

11/04/2005 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Si: I was not previously aware of that. Funny considering that I'm a bit of a map geek on the quiet. [hangs head in shame]

11/04/2005 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

What a funny thing to do! I hardly think it would keep the bathroom cleaner smelling though, for in order to have a large, er, supply of urine, it's likely the beer intake would increase, lessening the odds of perfect aim.

Wait a second! That's a perfect marketing tool! Drink more, pee more, impress more!

11/04/2005 05:32:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: I love maps and place-names, too, and Britain is absolutely rife with terrific and quirky place-names. I'm sure you've read Bill Bryson on the subject - had me laughing to tears.

Haley: Ah, but you see - they have to aim properly or they won't light up so well, now will they?! So it's a great strategy all round: drink lots, pee lots, and AIM that thing.

11/04/2005 05:41:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

A have read a couple of Bill Bryson's books. I don't know if I've read the one on placenames. It's been a while.

WV; plazp (sounds like a plaque treatment!)

11/04/2005 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Simon, I only know as I lived in Newport (Shrops), and one of my parents lives in Albrighton, if you forget the postcode on a letter.....

WV: tbzoxhdm. Could be the cure for the bird flu pandemic that the media are hyping up :-)

11/07/2005 03:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home