Friday, November 11, 2005

Oh, that's much better...

Arthur finishes his artwork, and sits up with a sigh of satisfaction. "Now we'll just let it dry, and then we'll take it home." I look at it. "It's a crayon drawing, sweetie, not a painting; it doesn't need to dry." "Yes, it's a little wet." I try not to let my exasperation show. Honestly, this boy would argue black is white some days! "Arthur, it's crayons. It's not wet." He trails his fingers through the box of chunky crayons. "I think it might feel a little wet." He nods his head, smiles encouragingly up at me, willing me to see his point. Now I'm not sure if we're talking about the crayons or the drawing. Is he suggesting that the crayons are wet, and have made his drawing wet? "The only way the crayons might be wet is if you put them in your mouth. Did you?" Though he's three and should be past it, toys still do find their way to his mouth from time to time. He pulls his head back in some indignation. He hastens to clear his name of the accusation. The very idea! "Nooooo! I didn't put them in my mouth! I sneezed!"

12 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

OH MY GOSH!

He was right. It was wet.

11/11/2005 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger ~Lil Nance ;> said...

Wet it was!! Hahahahaha! Bless you Harry!

11/11/2005 03:58:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Well, Jesus Muffy.

11/11/2005 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

DAMMIT, Susan.

You beat me to it.

11/11/2005 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Kimmyk: Yes, he was. And now every last one of those twenty-four chunky crayons is without a paper covering, so that they can be swabbed down and disinfected as required.

Nancy: Not being argumentative this time, just factual. Ick.

Susan: Sweeping the nation, I tell you!!

Misfit: There will be other opportunities. Hang in there.

WV: pueex... sounds suitably disgusted!

11/11/2005 09:37:00 PM  
Anonymous MIM said...

How long do germs last on crayons? Perhaps it's time to buy some new ones . . .

11/12/2005 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger judypatooote said...

This is a neat sight....I enjoy your little stories....kids are so special, no matter what comes out of there mouths....lol

11/12/2005 05:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Mim: Or maybe we could sterilize them by boiling??

Judyp: Hello! Another new reader! Yes, they're sure special, but some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths is less special than others! :-)

11/12/2005 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Boiling? Wouldn't you have crayon soup?

Your gang is hysterical.

11/13/2005 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

yuck!

At least he was honest though.

11/14/2005 05:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Granny: Speaking of soup... One day I'll tell you about the time my then ten year old daughter discovered that a toddler had been using her toothbrush, so we decided to sterilize it by boiling it. It didn't work.

Si: Indeed. Which he isn't always.

11/14/2005 07:43:00 AM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

I'm twenty-seven and you know that the crayonz still find their way to my mouth from time to time.

Loved the story. Loved.it.

11/14/2005 01:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home