Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sing me a Song

We have a particular fascination these days, as you know. Today it's made its way once again into song. What a delightfully musical bunch these children are! It's so uplifting to hear those little voices raised in song, to see them make full use of their God-given talents; always such a pleasure to encourage them in their full expression. This morning George busts out singing one of his favourite songs, one we have heard many, many times before. Many, many times. Today's lyrics are reflective of the current fascination, much to the delight of Darcy, who is, if possible, even more interested in the fecal, er, focal, topic than George.

Take me out to the Ball Game, Take me out to the Poop! Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks! I don't care if I never Poop back, 'Cuz it's poop, poop, poop for the home team. If they don't win it's a shame. For it's One! Two! Three! Poops you're out, At the Old Ball Game!!"
Well, you can see the appeal, now, can't you? This song is flippin' wonderful!!! There has never been anything funnier sung in the history of song. Never. Three-year-old boys are falling over laughing throughout my home. Though his singing is far more tuneful than the average three-year-old, it's his skill as a librettist that will take George to greatness, no doubt about it. Darcy doesn't know the words to the entire song, but given that he doesn't know all the words to any of the many songs he sings, this doesn't slow him down for a second. The first line, suitably excrementalized, provides ample entertainment for the remainder of the morning. "Take me out to the poo-poo game. Take me out to the poopoo game. Take me out to the poopoo..." (you grasp the trend?) in a cheerful, tuneless, ceaseless carol. When small children go through this stage - and believe me, pretty near all of them do - I generally just wait it out and let them have their fun, with two caveats: All poop and pee talk must be kept inside, and no poop/pee talk at the table. In the meantime, I'm being serenaded by truly shitty songs...

7 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

my son is 13 and he still makes up songs like this.

it's a boy thing i'm afraid.

11/15/2005 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

That explains it. At least as far as the boys START it. My son (4) comes up with some way to fit "poop" into ANY song, conversation, etc. these days, much to the delight of his older sister (7) who takes off with the idea. After all, she has a much wider vocabulary, knows many more characters, songs, stories...

I tried to commiserate with my father (father to 5 kids and grandfather to 11!) but rather than receiving sympathy, I often remind him of another story. (Afer all, he's a boy. )

11/15/2005 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

My girls think all potty jokes and songs are hilarious and of course brand new to them.

I remember thinking they were funny as well 60+ years ago.

Maybe my girls learned them from the boys? Naw, it's just a universal thing with kids.

11/16/2005 02:45:00 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

My daughter loves to exchange words in songs to make them silly. I love listening to them--they're so funny!

11/16/2005 04:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Okay, I have to share...

When I first gave birth to my now 13 mo daughter, the Boston Red Sox were about to win the World Series for the first time in 84 years. So in honor of this odd intersection of events in our lives (and because we were more than a little punchy from 36 hours of labor), we rewrote the lyrics:

Take me out to the breastfeed,
Take me out to the boob,
Buy me some colostrum and milky milk,
I don't care if that shirt's made of silk
For it's root, root, root for the nipple,
If you've made plans it's a shame,
For it's one, two, three sucks then breathe
In the breastfeed game!

11/16/2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

When you're sliding into first and you feel something burst...

11/16/2005 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Kimmyk: Well. This is probably the only time I've been actively grateful that my son doesn't sing!

Lory: So what you and kimmy are telling me is that it will never, ever go away... Oh, well. Not my problem: I'm not involved in raising these boys for more than a year or two each, and after that, a whole new crew!

Granny: Since the girls in my crew are pre-verbal, they're not joining in the poopy hilarity, but give them another few months... It's the naughtiness of it, don't you know.

You've caused me to remember singing a certain song in my early teens: "They are shifting daddy's bones to build a sewer". It had lots of great words in it, as I recall, and didn't I feel devilish and daring singing it! So maybe I understand better than I realized!

Hausfrau: Isn't it fun when they start to develop their own sense of humour? I love listening to it, too, truth be known.

Jennifer: I'm screaming with laughter. "Root, root, root for the nipple"... LOL I would so loved to have had this one in my repertoire when I was teaching prenatal classes. (36 hours - you poor thing!)

Crayonz: This is a new one on me, but you know what? I don't need to hear the rest. Really.

11/16/2005 01:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home