Wednesday, November 09, 2005

That would be done how, exactly?

Another tale from the struggle for indepence. We are now home from our outing. All that gear we put on, as independently as possible, needs to come off. As independently as possible. All the children have been instructed to take off their own hats and mittens while I make the rounds helping to remove footwear. Any mittens not on idiot stringe are to be put inside their hats, after which I will tuck mittens-and-hat bundles into a sleeve of their jacket. All very efficient. Zach complains that he can't take his mittens off. "Use your teeth, love, like this." I demonstrate with my own. "Just grab the end of the mitten, bite hard, and pull." Any dentists out there, save your comments for email, all right? I am not too concerned about their long-term dental health just now: I want to get everyone out of their gear in less than an hour. We practice for a minute. Yes, it would have been faster today to have simply tugged them off, but I have a dream and a goal for tomorrow: independence. It's all about independence. Zach yoinks one mitten off, to his great delight, where it dangles from its string. He accepts my round of applause then moves on to the next one, while I turn to remove Alice's coat. Darcy speaks from behind me. "I can pull it off with my teeth." I hang Alice's coat, reach for Zach's without turning. "That's good, Darcy. You're bigger than Zach, though. Do you need to use your teeth to pull your mittens off?" Not that I mind one way or the other, just asking. Darcy is glad I did, because he wants to share his accomplishment. In tones of great satisfaction, he explains. "Not, not my mitten, Mary - my shoe!"

9 Comments:

Blogger Aginoth said...

[chuckle]

I love kids logic and how they work things out.

11/09/2005 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

I nearly rolled out of my cube laughing at that one.

11/09/2005 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

Sanitation police! Impressive thinking though.

11/09/2005 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Aginoth: If it works for a mitten, why not a shoe? I'd just like to know how he managed to get his teeth anywhere near his shoe.

Simon: You didn't hurt yourself, did you? You're not going to sue?

Haley: I wish I'd seen how he managed it. When I whirled round, he put the toe of his shoe back in his mouth to "show me" how he'd managed it, which wasn't nearly as helpful as he thought it was... Sanitation police, indeed.

11/09/2005 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Aginoth said...

ACK

visitor 10008

I wanted to be number 10000

{sulk}

11/10/2005 03:27:00 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

This post should have come with a warning!!

As soon as you mentioned wool on teeth my teeth went funny. Hold on, ack! it just happened again ^_^

11/10/2005 05:05:00 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

Too funny!

11/10/2005 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

If you teach her to fetch slippers, then you are all set...

that sounded very cruel...maybe not such a good idea after all...

H

11/10/2005 07:33:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

If I ever wondered how you reached visitor 10,000, I wonder no more. I get behind sometimes, but always come back and catch up on their doings (and yours as well).

11/13/2005 09:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home