Monday, November 07, 2005

Trip to The Market

On a chill and damp late October day, with only three children in tow, we decided to hop a bus downtown. Our destination? The Byward Market, known here as simply "The Market". Rows of vendors sell produce throughout the spring and summer. Now that the fields are pretty much empty, the farmer's stalls are dwindling, while the craft stalls multiply madly! It won't be much longer before they all pack it in. Nobody sits in a stall waiting for intrepid, thirty-below shoppers. The most common item on offer the week before Hallowe'en, was - surprise! - lots and lots of pumpkins! You often see one of these in/around the market, as well as rickshaws. I love the big hairy feet on these gentle giants!


We passed this on the way out of The Market, and you can be sure we did NOT go in. I couldn't possibly get out without purchasing some of ther (over-priced) goodies, and then I'd have to share it with the kids! My calories, mine, all mine...

7 Comments:

Blogger Aginoth said...

Sugar Mountain...The children go in Normal and come out as glowing eyed, rotating head little glucose fulled little hyperactive monsters ...I assume?

11/07/2005 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

mmm..........sugar........

[drool]

cq

ps - any maple candy in there? I *love* maple candy [eye twitches]

11/07/2005 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

My friend's son is crazy about the sugar mountain. What kid wouldn't be? The one I went to had all these articles about supposed citings of bat-boy. Farmers put the real food on the table though, some of the fresh stuff, and I love seeing the old fashioned carriages, they take me back a few years.

11/07/2005 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Aginoth: You know the place, then? LOL

Stuffing them with sugar isn't so bad if you get the timing right: "x" minutes to consume the stuff, 20 for digestion, 20 for the sugar high, and 40 to 60 minutes after ingestion, the sugar crash - when you put them to bed. Just as effective as booze, but legal and cheaper! (Cheaper if you DON"T shop at Sugar Mountain.)

CQ: Yes, there's maple sugar. They even have it in the shape of maple leaves - that authentic Candian touch, just for the tourists!

sirbarret: Welcome back! Haven't seen you in ages, and suddenly a bunch of comments. An embarrassment of riches!!

What kid wouldn't love the place? None in their right mind! Around the corner from this is "Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory", which is where I am more truly tempted: tons of hand-made chocolates. Their display of truffles gets me nearly every time, even though I am generally a salty-and-sour girl. Mmmmm....

11/07/2005 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

I've got to get my sugar-timing down. Thanks for the equation above!
My sister (mom to quadruplets) tells me if I give my kids a sugary treat before bed, they'll sleep late the next morning.
My timing must just be off as they only want to sleep in on school mornings. Weekends?? Who would want to sleep those away??

11/08/2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

I love open air markets. I haven't found one here yet.

If you're taking orders, I would love a 1/2 pound of maple cremes please :)

11/09/2005 07:15:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Lory: Quadruplets! Wow. Was this her first (and thus only pregnancy!), or are there older child(ren), too?

I've never heard of it helping them sleep in late - sugar is digested too quickly, I'd think, for it to have an effect hours later. But if it works for her, I'm not arguing with a mom-of-quadruplets.

As for when they sleep and don't: it's all about motivation, isn't it??

Misfit: Maples cremes, she says, writing it down on her palm. They have maple syrup and maple sugar candy, and probably some maple flavoured jellybeans, so I'm sure we can manage some cremes. (What do they look like?)

11/09/2005 08:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home