Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Seasonal Parenting

Three little boys play with three baby dolls, and like all new parents, the conversation centres on their offspring. "My baby Jesus is sleeping." "My baby Jesus is eating." "My baby Jesus is pooping." (Surprised??) "My baby Jesus is a girl." (Now that's a surprise!) "My baby Jesus is a boy." "I'm going to give my baby a bath," says Arthur. Guess his was the pooping one. He tosses his baby bodily over the baby gate and into the kitchen, where it lands, head-first, with a solid clunk. "There! I frowed my baby in the bath." "Shhh!" Darcy reprimands. "You woked up my baby." George shushes his baby. "Now all our baby Jesuses are crying." "Go to sleep baby Jesus, go to sleep!" Darcy urges, rocking his baby and kissing its forehead. (Was his baby Jesus male or female? I lost track.) George has an idea. "You needa sing to your baby Jesus to help him sleep." Arthur launches into an enthusiastic if melody-challenged version of "I can sing a rainbow." Just then the CD, which has been on the random setting all morning, turns to The Blind Boys of Alabama. Their bump'n'grind blues version of "Away in a Manger" fills the air. Given how non-traditional their version is, I am surprised when Darcy recognizes it. "Not that song, Arthur! We need to sing "Away inna Manger", because a manger is a baby Jesus crib!" And in only moments, three babies are lulled to sleep amidst a cacophony of the Blind Boys of Alabama, and the tone-deaf Boys of Ontario.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


9 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

That's a wonderful story.

The five year old daughter of a friend who walks with the girls to school each morning was singing as I accompanied her "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" as only a five year old can.

Thanks like that are the main reason I cling to my junky old piano. It's fun.

12/13/2005 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I love that. Away in a Manger is my favorite carol, alhtough I never did buy the 'no crying he makes' part. Come on, the boy's in a barn! Of course he cried!

And look! I feel Christmas-y now! Woo hoo!

12/13/2005 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Delightful. I love kid logic.

12/13/2005 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I'm tellin ya....I'm with Simon-- you just can NOT beat kid logic!

I would love to hear them sing...(the children I mean...lol)

12/13/2005 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

That'll put you in the Christmas spirit!
And I just love that a boy made his baby Jesus a girl! ; )
Thanks for sharing this!

12/13/2005 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Granny: I have a piano, but I rarely use it with the tots because once I start to play, all singing ceases utterly in the mad scramble to poke the keyboard. Even when I put the stop to that, the fascination still renders them mute.

Susan: I agree with the crying bit - always seemed silly to me. Holy, but human: If he didn't cry, he'd likely have starved, too, poor mite. Whoever wrote that one was not thinking it through... Glad it got you all Christmas-sy, though.

Merry Christmas!

Simon: Pretty much infallible, if you enter their mindset. They're pretty cute, these boys!

kimmyk: Well, they won't be cutting a disk anytime soon, but if you just relax, close your eyes, and imagine a the initial drone of a bagpipe, with an undertone of squirrel chatter and just a hint of birdsong, I think you might get the sense of it.

Lory: I loved writing this one. Some are more fun than others, you know? I liked the female baby Jesus; that gave me a chuckle at the time. And the lullaby twist at the end - these boys are just too cute some days, I tell ya!

12/14/2005 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger Simon Peter said...

Kimmy: That's a neat idea.
Mary: Can you record them singing and post an mp3 file? That would be a riot. I'm sure the parents would like it as well.

12/14/2005 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Simon: I have utterly NO IDEA how to do that, but I'm quite, quite sure my 16-year-old son does. What a great idea - now the trick is getting them to cooperate!

12/14/2005 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

I can help you with that too if the boy hasn't by the time I get home. The recording part will be a snap, and the posting part will only be slightly more complicated.

12/14/2005 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home