Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ho, ho, ho

The boys are playing Santa. A chair is the sleigh, various toys are, well, toys, and a set of blocks laid out in a line extending from the front of the chair are reindeer. Right now they're arguing about who gets to fly down the chimney into Bethlehem and give baby Jesus his presents. (Yes, I know it's January, but Christmas is a pretty intense holiday, you know? It takes a kid a few weeks to work it through.) I'll bet baby Jesus will be thrilled with his gifts, though: from his infant perspective, a block, a toy airplane, and a red crayon have got to kick the prosaic ass of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

6 Comments:

Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Red crayon? Wise choice. That's what I would have picked as well.

1/12/2006 09:51:00 AM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Gifts fit for a kid, not a king.
fly down the chimney into Bethlehem... I love it!

1/12/2006 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Your kids are so imaginative when they play together - you are a great care-giver to let them explore and play freely. I love hearing about their games and quirky statements.

1/12/2006 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger fin said...

I loved making tents out of blankets and cardboard boxes...that was my time-machine. Or plane. or car.

1/13/2006 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Crayonz: It was Darcy's choice. I'll tell him you approve.

Lory: After all, at this stage in his life, he was just a normal wailing, pooping, nursing baby. Probably kept his parents up half the night, too... Fun how the tykes have all their Christmas lore all neatly formed into a single story, huh?

Kristen: When I was a young and much more earnest mommy, I did a lot more playing with my kids. Gradually, though, I discovered that they do just as well - sometimes even better - with less attention. I'm there as a resource and a referee, but mostly, my job is to stand back and let them get on with it. And see what a good job they do??

Fin: Welcome! One day I'll post pictures of the dining room table draped in blanket, being a time machine. Or a plane. Or a car. Some things about childhood don't change all that much, do they?

1/13/2006 07:50:00 AM  
Blogger chosha said...

He may need TWO blocks. You know, to bang them together.

1/15/2006 12:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home