Monday, January 30, 2006

Hockey Fever Continues

It's ongoing in Mary's kitchen, the endless hockey game, only it's achieving a new level of sophistication. Perhaps because daddy has been taking Darcy to see high school hockey games, but Darcy has learned to body check. Yes. He does it very well, too. Not only has he learned how, but he knows when to do it. It's quite impressive, really. This afternoon, Darcy and George were scooting after the puck (a.k.a. a wooden block). Displaying a novel degree of authenticity, they were both in pursuit of the same puck. As you know from previous posts on the subject, there are generally multiple pucks in our games, the ice littered with at least one per player, very often more. Today, however, two boys, one puck. How sophisticated! But then, it gets even better. George makes it to the puck, which has lodged against the boards, first. George angles himself so as to shoot the puck out into centre ice, when Darcy approaches from his left, and, leading with his shoulder, checks George back a pace and gains control of the puck! It was decisive, it was neat, it was efficient - it was really, really good! Really! I was so impressed. George was less so. "Daaarcy!" Darcy is too busy racing the puck across the ice to answer. George is not letting this go. He "skates" up behind Darcy, and I'm wondering: are we going to get still another level of authenticity? Is there about to be a brawl on the ice? "Darcy! Darcy, you has to say sorry!" The tears glimmer on his lashes as he holds up his middle finger. "You hurted me!" I consider intervening with the harsh truth that in a real game the play does not stop so someone can say sorry for a bo-bo on a finger, but I'm curious to see how Darcy decides to handle it. He's perfectly capable of saying just exactly that. Nope. Authenticity has its place and all, but George is his friend, and Darcy is a gentle-spirited little guy (with the makings of a great athlete, I might add). Play stops while Darcy kisses George's finger better. "All better?" George smiles. And the game commences once more.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Sharkey said...

Awww . . . I LOVE that story! Thanks for starting my day with a smile.

1/30/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger aaron said...

I'm with Sharkey -- a nice contrast to my monday morning state of mind. what a sweet kid!

1/30/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I like that Darcy!

1/30/2006 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous BeckaJ said...

I love your kids.

1/30/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger stefanierj said...

I have tears in my eyes. That was really sweet. Oh, and I'm going to email you and take you up on the offer of advice you gave to that poster of MIM's...:)

1/30/2006 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

Sigh--I wish Cincinnati was a hockey town.

1/30/2006 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Aw! What a sweet little boy... most of the boys I know wouldn't have ever kissed his friends finger to make it better- especially if they were just doing what the big kids do!

1/30/2006 03:32:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

I love quiet, sweet boys like Darcy. Just love them, love them, love them.

1/30/2006 06:04:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Hello, all: Yes, Darcy is one sweet, sweet little guy. In fact, you know how I've said that every few years a kid comes along who's got that special something that gets him/her further into my heart than the others, that child that I'd happily adopt? Darcy's one of those.

Hausfrau: We're lucky. We have the NHL team - the Senators - whose arena is way the heck on the far side of town, and for whose games you pay upwards of $50 a seat; and we have the Junior A team - the 67s - whose arena is a fifteen minute walk from my house and whose games cost $9 - 15... Guess who I've seen more??

1/30/2006 09:00:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I think Darcy has his priorities in order although the NHL might not agree.

1/31/2006 01:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

He'd make a great athlete. He just won't (I hope, I hope) ever be an "enforcer". I watch a game, I see a fight break out, and the mother in me just wants to take those boys by their ears and tell them to grow up and play the game properly... Completely exasperates me, it does.

1/31/2006 07:30:00 AM  
Blogger Queen Bee said...

Darcy's really sweet :) He won all our hearts and his little friend's too, by stopping for him and comforting him...sweet

2/01/2006 03:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home