Thursday, January 05, 2006

How, Exactly?

"Hey, big M! How're you doing?" "Big M'? I'm about a foot shorter than him, and a solid five inches shorter than his wife. And I'm not short. Nor am I fat. Whatever: he's being playful; I match his tone. "Sick as a dog, TallDark Dad. I've been sick all vacation. It bites the big one." I laugh, ruefully, hoarsely. Laugh morphs into a hack. "So, are you open?" There are four toddlers in my home. I'm sure he can hear the rowdiness in the background. "Yup, I'm open!" "Well, we'll be round sometime." "Okay. I'll see you when I see you." "Okay. Take it easy, all right?" Ummm. Yeah. I'll do that...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, man. I really feel for you. What an awkward and frustrating situation. On the one hand, this is the parents' place of child care. On the other hand, you're a PERSON, not an establishment with substitutes, etc. ARGH!!

1/05/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Frustrating, indeed. As I said in the previous post, had I not just had ten days off (including weekends), I'd have taken a sick day, but just couldn't bring myself to do that immediately on the heels of a holiday!

What amused me most about both these scenarios is that the dads were obviously feeling a little guilty/awkward about sending their kids - which is why they ended the conversations with these rote platitudes, singularly inappropriate as they were!

1/05/2006 08:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home