Thursday, January 05, 2006

It Gets Weirder

Different parent drops off son this morning, a child who wasn't here yesterday. "His mom is home today, but she's not feeling well, so we thought she needed the day off." Pause. I'm not quite sure how to respond to this: "I know just how she feels?" "Yeah, it's tough to care for a single child when you're sick?" "Yes, it sure is nice to have a day off when you're under the weather?" Anything I say will just sound catty. Dad turns to me. "Oh, and how are you this morning?" "Oh, about the same as yesterday." "Well, have a nice day."

5 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

It sounds like some of the parents have wool between their ears, they listen but nothing sinks in.

1/05/2006 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

They do believe you're SuperWoman!
Do any of these parents keep their kiddos home when the little tykes get sick??
(Of course, they won't all be sick on the same day so that doesn't really help you, either...)

1/05/2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

Oh. My. God.

I suppose all you can do is laugh and take their money.

But have you considered raising your rates?

1/05/2006 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

But you're not a sick mommy, you're the unstopable childcare provider! You are immune to needing a break.

Didn't you know that?

1/05/2006 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Si: They're a nice bunch, really, but wooly-headed? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Lory: SuperWoman, that's me!! In fact, most of them do keep their children home when they're sick. Plus, I have a sick child policy in the contract, if I needed it. It's just the irony of these exchanges that had me snorting into my morning cuppa tea!

Jen-o-rama: Irony. My favourite form of humour - how kind of the parents to give me a double dose this morning! (Yes, I am scheduled to raise my rates, but not till the new contracts next fall.)

Haley: I should by now! One of the mothers actually told me that "He was just driving us nuts, and we were all 'Agh! Can't we send him back to Mary yet'?" She loves her son to bits, and she was laughing at herself, but she also meant it. This makes me a little sad.

1/05/2006 09:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home