Saturday, January 21, 2006

What's Up With Me this Week, Anyway?

For those of you who are wondering what has become of me this week: I am continuing to keep up my space here, obviously, though much of what you've read in recent days was written long ago. I am not, however, managing my usual rounds of visits to see all you nice people. Here's the explanation, which I'm hoping will be simply information and not a whine! I have, it turns out, a "bulging disk". Well, that's what the physiotherapist called it; she makes a distinction between bulging and herniated, but not all experts do. You can call it bulging, you can call it herniated - point is, it hurts! This accounts for the lower back pain and the greatly restricted movements. (I can't put on my own socks! Thank you, Q, for saving me from barefoot frozen feet...) The disk is impinging on the sciatic nerve, which accounts for the pain down my right leg. I cannot sit for more than a few minutes. I cannot stand still for long, either. I can walk, though gimpily, with the right leg dragging a bit, but not far before the leg pains start. What I can do - and the physiotherapist has even presribed it - is lay on my tummy on the floor. The exercises she's given me afford me about half an hour of pain-free living. A sound investment of 20 minutes, I figure. So the last couple of days have comprised of 20 minutes of exercise followed by 30 minutes or so of upright living. Part of the "exercise" is simply to prop myself up on my elbows and let my back droop. Guess what? I can TYPE while I do that!! Oh, happy day! Oh, how I love my laptop! Without it I'd be bereft of blogging, and though I've also consumed a fair number of books this week (finished Quirky Kids, Susan!), one does value a bit of variety. How have I done this with the tots about? Well, I haven't. I took Thursday and Friday off sick, and will return to the fray on Monday. I have lined up backup for the mornings of next week. My son, Adam, who is having exams, graciously offered - offered! what a lovely boy - to help out. A friend will help one day, and Emma will get to stay home from school one day. I'm hoping that by the following week I will be able to work on my own. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

5 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

Crossed.

I had an episode of sciatica a few months back and I surely know what pain you're experiencing. Yoga helped me tremendously. I hope you get back to your good self soon.

1/21/2006 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

Aw Mum! I had no idea it was so bad! Good thing you have such amazing children to help you! I hope it get better real soon :)

1/21/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, how awful. Both my aunts have bulging discs and I see/hear about the agony they go through. In your case, it's a real hindrance to being able to do your job! Yikes. I hope you are better by next week!

1/21/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

How terrible! I hope that your back feels better soon, and yay for Emma and Adam offering to help out... good luck for the next week.

1/21/2006 08:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Sharkey said...

It's horrible when the pain affects everything you do (or can't do, as the case may be). Glad you found something that will give you relief, and someone(s) who will relieve you of some of your duties.

Feel better soon!

1/21/2006 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home