Saturday, February 25, 2006

Just a Normal Conversation...

Saturday morning at Mary’s house, kidful version. Last weekend was the kidfree version. Players are Mary, Big Stepson (Big) age 17; Little Stepson (Little), age 10; and the wonderful Q, partner of Mary and father to stepsons. Small background detail: BigSon his learner's permit (now called a G1, I think) which allows him to drive only if there is a licensed driver in the car in the passenger seat alongside him. Little: Daddy, do you have a big playing card, a regular sized one, and a small playing card? Q: You want three cards? Little: No, two. A big one - you know, like a regular sized one - and a small one. Q: Oh. No, I don’t. Big: What do you need the cards for? Little: I’m not telling. We don’t have ANY cards? M: We used to, but I have no idea where they are now. Big: That’s because people like YOU keep losing them. [He fixes his small brother with a meaningful - and friendly - stare.] Little: Meeeeeeee??? Talk moves to my plans for the day, and a possible need for a ride downtown for me. We have one vehicle, many children with many activities. The logistics need to be worked out carefully. Q: BigSon needs to get his license. If he had his license, he could drive you downtown.... Big: I could drive her downtown... Q: Well, yes you could, but then she’d have to come back with you, and.. Big and Q, together:... what would be the point of that? Bwah-hahahaha (Like father, like son.) Q: I guess I could drive you, if you want to go. Small: Drive me, daddy? Where? Q: No, not you. Mary. Big: Yes, you! We’re going to drive you downtown and leave you there. Q: Yes, and you can stop people on the street and ask them if they have a big playing card and a small playing card. M: Did we ever find out what he needs the playing cards for? Little: I forget. Big: And I have to go to work now, anyway. Little: I didn’t think you wanted to go today. Big: Not particularly, no. Little: Well, don’t go! Big: You can’t just not show up because you don’t feel like it that day. Q: Yeah. That’s why it’s called a “Rat trap”. M: You mean the “rat race.” Q: Yeah. Little: Don’t go! [Falls dramatically at Big's large feet, arms outstretched, pathos oozing from his every syllable and cell.] Big: Well, you could always come with me. Be the cute little kid and be bored for five hours. Little: Not me! I don’t want to be in the rat pack. Q: No, you just want some playing cards. Little: Yeah!

10 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

Wait, I'm confused. Which step-son has a job? I think maybe their numbers got reversed... Cute story though!

2/25/2006 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

There. Fixed. Even I was having trouble tracking the SS1 and SS2 thing: now they're "Big" and "Little".

2/25/2006 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Sounds like my house - I call them Alice in Wonderland conversation

2/25/2006 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger Andie D. said...

What a fun conversation! Did you record it? I can never remember mine well enough by the time I get a chance to actually write. Sure, I've fudged a little bit here and there, but I try to stay true to the main theme.

2/25/2006 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger House Dad said...

Kia Ora Mary,

Thanks for putting a pin on my map.

Ka Kite,

Jarvis Tahi & House Dad

2/26/2006 12:55:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

so did you get downtown?
who drove ya?
did little ever get his cards?

these are unanswered questions...ahhh for another post on another day.

i dred the day my son gets his learners permit. *sigh*

2/26/2006 09:21:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Granny: Any minute a white rabbit in a hurry is bound to appear... It has that feeling to it!

Andie: I can type at a decent speed, so when it started to get silly I hauled the laptop open and started transcribing as it was ongoing, then went back and filled in a bit here and there. It's pretty much word-for-word. (No one knew what I was doing - steath transcription!)

House Dad: Kia Ora, HD. Welcome! Feel free to return the favour - the link to the map is the coloured Frappr box in the sidebar to the left. "Kia Ora" - Maori greeting? "Ka kite" - goodbye?

kimmyk: [cue dramatic music] "Will our heroine get downtown? Will Little get his cards? Tune in next week to Wonderland Moments for the answers to these and other pressing questions..."

The answers are: Yes, Q, and No.

I was hoping to walk, the weather had been so mild all week, but temperatures plunged just for the weekend, and there was a NASTY wind coming out of the north. I'd have had to walk into it all the way. Never mind that!

2/26/2006 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

Well, maybe (in response to the above comments) you could name the stepsons P and R :).

Just kidding, of course!

2/26/2006 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Jen: P, Q, and R... ar, ar, ar. It took me a minute. I know a family, the mom and dad are J and M, and the two children are K and L, so they sign Christmas cards as J,K,L,M. It always makes me wonder: did they do that on purpose??

2/26/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger chosha said...

I have no idea why that was so amusing. But it was. :)

2/28/2006 09:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home