Saturday, March 04, 2006

(Mostly) Only the Canadians will Get This

Rick Mercer's blog is one of the Blogs of Note these days. I will say up front that I generally don't like sneering Rick: clever as he undoubtedly is, knee-jerk cynicism and nay-saying makes me change the channel fast. It's too simple a response for the intelligent, an easy way out - simpler to sneer than to think through the issues, and maybe, just maybe, see some grey areas, give the opposing way of thought its due from time to time. Knee-jerk cynicism is the adolescent's way of pretending to be mature and worldly-wise. Having said all that, this one made me grin:

4 Comments:

Blogger MsSisyphus said...

That's hilarious Mary! I love it! (and I'm not too fussed about Rick either.)

3/05/2006 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

we move to canada had an entire post about someone the other day. I think it was Rick Mercer (of whom I'd never heard) but I don't watch those shows here in the States either.

The 3 Stooges? You're right; I don't recognize the people. Your new PM?

3/05/2006 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Just checked back. She was talking about a columnist named Rex Murphy but she mentioned Rick Mercer in passing as well.

3/05/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

MsS: Great, innit? :-)

Granny: Yes, I should have identified these people for the non-Canadian readers! They are, from left to right:
Stephen Harper, Conservative, now Prime Minister of Canada as of our January election;
Paul Martin (though he does have a decent head of hair in real life), Liberal, former Prime Minister;
and Jack Layton, leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada.

If their physical positioning were to represent their political positioning, Steve and Jack would have to trade places. (At least for the viewers: from their own perspective, of course, Stephen is on the right and Jack on the left.)

Rex Murphy is a CBC correspondant. No ideologue, he's a blindingly intelligent curmudgeon who does not tolerate fools gladly. I quite like the old grumpus, even when I disagree with him. (I rather suspect he can think circles around that smart-ass Rick...)

3/05/2006 02:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home