Thursday, March 09, 2006

My Head's Getting Sore, What with all the Bashing It into Walls I'm Doing these Days

"I'm tired. We're walking too fast." "I don't think so, Arthur. Look, the other boys are running. Why don't you go run with them?" We are in fact proceeding down the street at standard toddler pace, an erratic shuffle: occasional full stops to check out specks of dirt and peed-on snow lumps alternating with sudden darts up the sidewalk. On average, we amble. The boy is not being force-marched. "No. My legs are tired. They don't want to run." "Well, there's no other way to get home but by walking. You can walk with me, or you can run with them. It's up to you." "But we're walking too fast for my legs." "Arthur. Walk with me, or run with George and Darcy. No complaining." "But my le--" "Arthur." The rest of the ten-minute walk is accomplished with Arthur, holding on to the stroller as he mutters non-stop under his breath. Well, what passes for Arthur as under his breath, and I opt to ignore it. "...too fast...tired legs...heavy boots...don't want to run...tired...walk too far...walk too much...tired...don't like walking...sore feet...tired..." The litany ends when we reach our front porch. Arthur is the first one in, and the second one out of his winter gear. Freed of snowsuit, he bounds into the livingroom. "Hey, Darcy!! Let's RUN!!!!"

7 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

One thing that used to *grip* me when we had a push chair, was when one or more of the other kids used to hold on to it and pull, not only did you have to push the chair, you had to drag a child along as well.

3/09/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

"My legs are tired"= kid code for "why does he get to ride in the stroller, i wanna ride in the stroller" regardless of the fact that there's a three year differential between the kids!

3/09/2006 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

He's really too young to realize what he does, isn't he? he's hilarious!

3/09/2006 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

Sounds like my Christopher. Sooooo much.

3/09/2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Si: The "why is this thing so HEAVY???" experience. Been there! Still am. :-)

Angela: Regardless of the fact that the baby cannot walk in his snow boots! (A 12 month old in snow boots is effectively rooted to the spot. Half the time the boots are too heavy for their newly-walking legs to actually lift, so they stand there.) Remember Weebles? "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down." That's a 12 month old in winter boots!

Jen: He's absolutely too young. A fact of which I remind myself repeatedly.

Candace: Ever get twitchy? The little involuntary tweak of the wrists that say "I sooo want to throttle this child, but I won't because I love him. Yes, yes I do". LOL

3/09/2006 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Only every.single.day of his life.

No, really.

3/09/2006 04:25:00 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

That was K last winter- she was 18-22 months old for the vast majority of our winter, and she just could not stay on her feet in her snow boots. I actually have a picture of B either knocking her over or picking her up after a particularly dangerous moment in the life of a wobbly toddler!

3/09/2006 06:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home