Friday, March 24, 2006

My Professionalism Save the Life of Yet Another Child

The children are getting ready to go out. My small front hall is a seething, giggling, chattering mass of hats, mittens, snowpants, splashpants, coats, down vests, fleece jackets, snow boots, rain boots, neck warmers, scarves. Some of these items actually clad the appropriate body part; the rest seem to be simmering in the writhing, screeching air above and around the mayhem below. As the clothing gradually accumulates on the right child, that child is then to sit on the step to one side of the hall, and order slowly returns. My working life, though, is a constant battle against the forces of entropy. Entropy which has snuck round behind me while I focussed on the chaos before. Taking advantage of the general bedlam, judging from the clods of dry mud and swaths of grit that carpet my living room floor, two or three little agents of entropy have managed to do a conga-line bunny hop in their crusty boots in the next room before sitting down. Gah! All the children dressed, ready, and sat, I proceed with only slightly snarky attitude to sweep the floor. Sam, that nine-year-old master of the verbal mis-step, watches me and comments,

"You're kind of wasting our time, you know."
Ah, youth, that halcyon morning of our lives when the world and all its doings revolves around our every whim. How fortunate that he has me to act his mentor, training, teaching, leading him to the afternoon of his life! I am so pleased - so very pleased - to help him take the next few stumbling steps of growth, to explain to him the error of his thinking. My smile, as I guide him gently into the paths of maturity, is more of a grimace than a caress, but I do refrain from snarling, and the boy lives still. I am a good woman.

9 Comments:

Blogger MsSisyphus said...

You really, really are.

And entropy defines my life.

3/24/2006 07:50:00 AM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

You ARE a good woman! You refrained from snarling?! I'm quite certain I would have barked.

3/24/2006 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'm so there with you. Rebecca is a back seat driver of the first order and I've bitten my tongue to keep from asking her if she'd like to drive.

She'd probably say yes and then what would I do?

3/24/2006 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, so so good. I presume you pointed out that the three who tracked in the mud are in fact the ones wasting his time and he should get on *them* about it? I like making use of their peer pressure to help keep a group in line, myself.

3/24/2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

why yes you are Miss Mary P !

that had me chucklin!

3/24/2006 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

I actually did make the fatal error today of asking Christian if he would like to drive them to school.

Of course, at my house, it was Tommy who piped up, "I do!"

3/24/2006 01:21:00 PM  
Blogger chosha said...

You are good, and he is lucky...little ratbag. :)

3/25/2006 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger McMullen Family Childcare said...

I LOVE your blog and your insights :) I couldn't believe it when I saw your title. I tell people all the time that I am NOT Mary Poppins LOL! I'll just have to check in with you once in awhile.

Suzi McMullen
www.kidsandfids.blogspot.com

3/26/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

Thanks for a good belly laugh! And you are very strong.

3/27/2006 12:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home