Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It's a Compulsion, I Tell Ya...

The usual mad scramble of getting multiple toddlers out the door is under way, punctuated at every single step by Darcy's "why's". "All right, it's time to go out. Put your toys away, please." "Why?" "Everyone? Take your slippers off now." "Why?" "Here's your coats. Darcy, would you help Zach with his coat, please?" "Why?" The questions are reflexive. He's not thinking about what he's asking: "why" is just popping out without any thought whatsoever. Given that we have gone through this procedure at least four hundred times in his life, there really can't be that much mystery in it any more! I call him over and speak gently-but-firmly into his wee face. "Darcy. I do not have time to answer all these questions. I have good reasons for everything I'm telling you. I know that if you stop and think for a second, you can figure out why we're doing all this. There is not time to explain every single thing. So, Darcy: Please stop asking 'why'." His blue eyes meet mine. He nods, and then...

"Why?"
His eyes widen, he gasps, and smacks both hands over his mouth. We fall together, laughing.
Related posts: Why, Why, Why More Why's Overheard Museum Trip


9 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Plans for the ark proceeding apace. We made the national news last night but don't know if it made it to you.

Lots of flooding here but no injuries except for one vehicle accident. The woman was driving too fast and hydroplaned into another car.

We're not close to the flood area but it's still raining.

4/05/2006 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

Gotta love Darcy!
That is TOO cute!

4/05/2006 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

HaHaHaHaHa I can't stop laughing- K's not at the why stage yet- but, I'm not looking forward to it. B asks some really silly questions that if he thought about it would become quite clear, and he's 6.5. When does it end? I have to go back and read more of the why posts- I think I've missed most of them!

4/05/2006 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, I can just see the look on his face when it "clicked" for him. He's so lucky to have a caregiver who uses moments like that to teach, instead of just grumbling in frustration or ignoring him.

4/05/2006 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger Queen Bee said...

Hmmm... it's time to cross over the other side and t h i n k . Brain first before mouth. Ha ha. Good Job, Mary!

4/06/2006 01:54:00 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I love it like the first 5 times they ask "why" and then my answer would just be "because" which i know is the wrong answer. My children would then always look at me and say "why because?"

it's a never ending vicious cycle that "why".

4/06/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

Oh man, this set my teeth on edge. I remember that stage (thrice) very very well.

4/06/2006 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I'm with lorykc! Love that Darcy!

Tell Granny we're pulling for her!

4/06/2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Granny: It didn't make it to CBC radio daytime news, and since I watch television in the order of once every four months, I wouldn't have seen it there!

I'm glad you're still high and (at least inside the house) dry! I hope the rains cease and desist shortly.

Lorykc: I do love that Darcy. He finishes his tenure with me at the end of June, and he will be one of the ones it's very hard to say goodbye to! Good thing he lives pretty close.

Angela: I tend to the "ask a silly question, get a silly answer" for obvious questions. I give them a totally silly answer to their question along with a goofy grin, they give me a look and laugh and say, "No, it's not that! It's thiiis!" Thus proving my point, of course, but we have fun in the meantime.

Kristen: I don't know if I did any teaching with this moment, but we had fun. He's so cute.

QueenBee: You're so right, but given how many adults have trouble with "brain first, then mouth", you can't be suprised with a 3-year-old finds it challenging!

Kimmyk: My eldest likes to give them totally random answers to that 5th or 6th "why"? "Why are we getting our shoes on?" "Because elephants are gray." It usually results in a few moments of puzzled silence, which is a blessing all by itself some days!

Jen: It can be wearing, for sure. Or, at times like this, very funny. And, when they listen and learn, it's rewarding. Which pretty much describes all of parenting, doesn't it?

Matthew: Howdy! I take it your end of the state isn't floating away?

Heeheehee... WV is "howlz".

4/07/2006 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home