Monday, April 10, 2006

Priorities

Husband is heading out the door for a run. He comes into the kitchen for a goodbye kiss. He and I, we don't "do" the peck-on-the-cheek goodbye kiss. Our motto: If you're going to kiss your sweetie, KISS your sweetie. Baby Nigel disapproves. His screech is immediate, loud, and demanding. "Get your lips off that cretin, woman, and attend to ME!" Which of course just provokes me, contrary critter that I am. I will not have my love life dictated by a 15-month-old. I remove my lips from my sweetie's long enough to grin at the boy, so he will understand he is being deliberately ignored, then return with renewed enthusiasm to the task at hand. Because it's important, you know, that a kid understands his place in the grand scheme of things.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jenorama said...

Amen.

4/10/2006 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger jw said...

I applaud your priorities.

4/10/2006 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger AverageMom said...

Our cat has the same issues as Nigel. She also has teeth. Not always a good time at our house.

4/10/2006 06:03:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I love that.

4/10/2006 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Thank you, everyone. A light-hearted post with a serious principle beneath: How long will your happy family last if your partner always takes second place to the kids?

Average Mom - that cat would be counting his minutes around here if he kept that up. I'm even less likely to let a cat dictate my love life!

4/11/2006 08:00:00 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

It sure is!
Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get point.

4/11/2006 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Baby Nigel has a ways to go, that's clear, but he'll get it, because I have one of the key traits necessary for dealing effectively with toddlers: because I see the big picture in a way they can't, I'm even more stubborn than they are!

4/11/2006 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Hee, pumpkinpie usually wants in on the action, adding a pat in addition to mine or jumping on the couch to join in a group hug. So far she seems happy to see us happy together, which I hope continues. At least until she finds it gross and embarrassing - boy will THAT be fun!

4/11/2006 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

My twelve-year-old gave me a fridge magnet for Christmas that reads, "I was put on this planet to embarrass my children in front of their friends."

So far, she thinks it's funny,and I'm curious to see if she stays this way or if it changes. She's my youngest, and each of them have different embarrassment tolerances.

I take shameless delight in how easily embarrassed teens are. It comes of still thinking you're the center of the universe, and having the mistaken impression that hordes of people notice (and care) what your mother does or doesn't do. Only maturity will convince them this isn't the case!

4/11/2006 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kat O+ said...

Oooh, I think I shall adopt this as a house rule, too! :-)

5/11/2006 03:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home