Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Notice

So they gave notice. They said some nice things about the care I've provided over the past two years, which was nice. Well, no, it was only fair, but I know not everyone would put it in if they were annoyed with me, as I suspect these two are. I only suspect, though, since so far we're all being very polite and professional about it. Dad was also unaware that, by withdrawing from the contract within the first 12 weeks, he has forfeited the deposit. You know, I think the contract was a total waste of paper for these two: if you're going to give notice, you'd think you'd read the section on "Giving Notice"... Sigh... The letter also said, "This was an extremely difficult decision, but we were left with little choice. Work is work." "Left with little choice" sounds just a bit like a whine or an accusation, or both. Me, I'd like to know what other choices they tried, in less than two weeks, to resolve the problem. Given that they've already found new care (!), I suspect they've been on a hunt ever since they received the contract, but signed on so they'd be sure of the space. I'd like to know, but I won't ask, because it would likely just cause hard feelings. And "work is work"? What does that mean? I was sorely tempted to reply with "and family is family", but I resisted. Let's just get through the next two months with as little fuss and furor as possible. In the end, I'm pleased with their decision. I will miss little Miss Mia, for sure. I hope she loves her new caregiver! I will not miss the aggravation of her parents' tardiness, day after day. Problems with the parents, no problem with the child: when there are problems in my job, this is generally the way she goes!

12 Comments:

Blogger Anne V said...

"Work is work" is just doublespeak; they're hoping you'll not question it and think it means something important.

Is it hard to fill slots? Where I live it's nearly impossible to find daycare at all so openings are snatched up immediately and there are waiting lists of a year or more in many places.

Do the parents of the kids in your daycare know about your blog?

5/02/2006 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

It is almost always the parents.

5/02/2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

It's rarely kids that cause problems - parents are the ones who are hard to deal with most often. I see that as a provider who goes to the child's home.

And yes, it seems like they signed on with you in case they didn't find something else [K's mom has kind of done something similar with her daycare, mostly to ensure space in the fall]. But I can't believe they didn't read the contract! I've read most of your contract, and it's not hard to get through - I'd hope that a parent would read before signing on with any care provider!

5/02/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

Oh, that sucks. I lost a client yesterday too. Well, let me re-phrase: they don't have funding or anymore work currently. I chose to take them at face value, though every instinct I have tells me there is more to it.

But I am not going to question them about it. I am just moving on.

5/02/2006 03:35:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, I'm sorry you're losing Mia, but so frustrated with the parents. GRR. I think their "work is work" comment was a dig, especially when combined with the phrase about being left with no choice. Give me a break.

5/02/2006 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Sorry to hear about Mia. But hopefully your life just got a little easier.

5/02/2006 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger mo-wo said...

Ah, Mary they don't deserve you. As a parent who has a pretty crappy 'fit' on some of our daycare hours I see where the responsibility lies.. You-hoo, parents it is your problem!

Sounds like they have unrealistic expectations of care and that, as you say, they can't read. Sad.

5/02/2006 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

AnneV: It's not too hard to fill slots, though the demand ebbs and flows. However, September is usually a time of increased demand, so I don't imagine it will be hard to find a child for the fall. Thing is, she'll be leaving at the end of June, which could put me in a bind for the summer. We'll see...

Peter: Sad, but true.

Angela: It's probably just as well they didn't, because then they might have decided to hold off till the "lose-your-deposit" period was over, and then I'd have been stuck trying to find a child in October or November, which tends to be a dead time for applicants.

Jen: "I'm moving on." Me, too. Otherwise, I'd be in the position of supplicant, and I just hate that. Besides, I think they tend to view me as a bit of an "uppity babysitter", and any attempt to get them to change their minds would only reinforce that notion. Nope. It's just as well they're going.

Kristen: Oh, I think it was a dig, too, implying that I don't know my place. I let it go: some fights are not worth having.

Tina: Yes, indeed. I'll have them for the next two months, of course, though I'm rather hoping that now they know they've lost their deposit and will have to pay for the second month of their notice anyway, they'll decide to start her at her new place on June 1. It'll be nice to have a lighter load just for a bit.

mo-wo: Having been at this for over ten years, I'm at the top of the heap for "benefits", like this, and I know it. There are caregivers out there who work longer hours for less pay; I know - I was one of them for a time! But I've earned my perks, I think, and happily, most of my parents think I'm worth it. (And what IS that handicapped symbol by the WV, anyway?)

5/03/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Ooh, audio. How cool is that?

5/03/2006 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger So-Called Supermom said...

Work is work!?!?!?!?!?!? That is the most ridiculous excuse I have ever heard! Yes, my office job is important to me (it makes me feel great and it pays the bills) but at the end of the day, I can always work out a plan with my boss so that I can be sure my daughter is taken care of. What's more important to these people---their desks or their child!?!?!? CRAZY!!!

5/03/2006 08:02:00 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

"Left with little choice" my patootie. They weren't getting their way, so they took the other choice. Leaving.

5/03/2006 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

ScSM: I think Anne V was right when she said it really means nothing (but maybe self-importance), and it was supposed to indicate they were helpless. I forced them to this, don't you know.

Kittenpie: Yup. But it's so much better when choices that might annoy someone else aren't your fault. In fact, it's evident in this case that it was MY fault! What do you know about that?

5/03/2006 03:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home