Monday, May 22, 2006

Why I Love My Job, Reason # 493

Today is a holiday here. (Victoria Day, aka "Firecracker Day" or "the May long weekend", in honour of birthday of the stern and tubby queen by that name. Victoria. Her name was Victoria, not Firecracker or May.) So, no kids for me today (except the five stepkids, but I'm not in charge of THEM, haha!), but I can't neglect my loyal readers in their masses (snort), so here's something fun: A recipe for a laugh-a-minute walk to the coffee shop on the corner? Put the seventeen-month-old in the umbrella stroller. Put the two-year-olds on each side, holding on. (Being outriggers, I call it.) Let the three- and the four-year-old walk ahead. Tell the "big kids" that they can "run ahead" to the next telephone pole, except that they have to "be a... butterfly!" Off they go, flapping. Touch the pole. Then "a fire truck!" Off they go, sirens a-wailing. Touch the pole. "A bee" - they buzz. They bounce, they giggle, they flap and wail and buzz. Oh, the cuteness! On the way back, on the last two very quiet blocks, the two-year-olds join them, and then, because I have to ratchet up the cute factor to unbearable levels, I have them be midget monsters, and dainty dragons, and teeny tigers, and they ROAR their way from pole to pole, mighty talons extended at the end of dimpled wrists. Oooooh, the cuteness!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kelli in the Mirror said...

I'm impressed. It frightens me to have that many of them running loose. I have a stroller that seats four and I only go out if I have five or less. :) I can't handle more than one walking and stay sane.

5/22/2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

That is adorable. I've done that with several kids while pushing a stroller, you can go as far as _______, and I've never had a kid go farther than that on me.

We get our four day weekend next week. But, we've always celebrate Victoria Day as a holiday at my house - it's my aunt's birthday (who was born May 24th and named Victoria!) so we barbecue or go out to eat or something.

5/22/2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I, too, am paranoid about letting them run loose, but I've found as my kids have gotten older that they're more likely to stay with me if I give them specific instructions, like go to the next pole - the way you recommend. It's smart. And letting them growl or flutter...perfect.

5/22/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Andie D. said...

I wish you could take and post video of the kids!

5/22/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I did that with the girls, sans sound effects and visuals. (I lack your imagination, I'm afraid. We added distance as they were older.

5/22/2006 07:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kat O+ said...

Mary, the more I read your blog, the more I realise I've forgotten how much fun it was to be a kid. Can't wait 'til mine is old enough to be trusted with running around the block (and not stepping in front of the CAR, Mama, CAR!).

5/22/2006 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger AverageMom said...

I tried explaining the holiday to Girl Terror today. She doesn't get why we are celebrating the birthday of a dead queen...

5/22/2006 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

On our walk today, we practiced the "We stay on the sidewalk; The street is for cars" mantra that you mentioned a few days ago. Q is doing pretty well with it!

5/23/2006 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Too cute! I can just picture the kids acting everything out. I'll have to remember this activity for when Ian's old enough.

5/23/2006 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Love it. Most of our walks are spent following pumpkinpie up to each house, leading her back down to the sidewalk.
P: "Live here?"
K: "no, we don't live there, silly. That's not our house, is it?"
She finds this pretty funny, and then, when we finally (god, finally) reach our street, she beams up, knowing she's right - "my street!"

5/24/2006 11:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home