Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mr. Liberality

The children surround the table, each with a lump of yellow playdough. "I'may-en pagutti, I'may-en pagutti." Arthur has the garlic press. Multiple strands of yellow playdough 'spaghetti' appear as he squeezes. "I'may-en pagutti, I'may-en pagutti." George looks at his spaghetti, comments positively. The others join in with talk about their creations. "I'may-en pagutti, I'may-en pagutti." Zach pokes the spaghetti with his finger. He giggles; Arthur grins. "I'may-en pagutti, I'may-en pagutti." Darcy looks up from his playdough, a steadily increasing pile of tiny yellow playdough nubbins under his plastic knife. "Arthur, you only need to say that once. I heard you." "Yes, but I'm tellin' Mary." "And she heard you, too." "And I'm tellin' Mia, and I'm tellin' Zach, and I'm tellin'..." Oooooh! No need to share, we get one sentence apiece. He's not repeating himself, merely making sure everyone gets their fair share. Such a generous boy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Yes, generous with sentences. How about with tangible items?

6/08/2006 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Arthur can get work as a broadcast system. "The alarm was just a drill. Please return to your classrooms. Please return to your classrooms. Please return . . . :)

6/09/2006 01:47:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

MamacitaTina: Sadly, no.

LadyM: Ha! That's perfect. Because not only does he love to repeat himself, but he has a very loud voice of a tenor that rises above all other background noise. Perfect!

6/09/2006 07:07:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen (aka Q) said...

Mark Twain was famous for his ability to hear dialects and capture them in text.

You do the same thing with kid-speak.

6/09/2006 01:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home