Friday, July 07, 2006

Isn't It Lovely? Isn't it Pastoral?

All these sights were seen on a recent trip to my favourite local park. One of several good reasons for its favoured status is the wonderful walk to get there. For the most part, we can avoid the streets altogether, and thus have opportunity to see things like...

A BUNNY!!!
AND DUCKS!!
While cautious of people, they are not exactly wild, either, and will let the children approach - even at a dead run - astonishingly close before waddling with only gently agitated quacks to the river. I'm not sure what it would take to stir them enough to fly to the river.
Kayaks are interesting, too!
And what exactly is this? Well, it's every bit as interesting as the kayaks, and possibly as exciting as the bunny. What you see here are the girders of a bridge spanning the river. (The central support is a fair way over. I stand on the bank to take the picture, and zoom in as far as I can to catch the birds which grace the support in the middle of the river.) And while they're gracing, they're also pooping. And pooping. And pooping some more. That bird playing King of the Castle? He's sitting atop a monumental pile of shit. That is why this structure is now, and will ever be known as
Pigeon Poop Bridge
. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

10 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Pigeons poop a fifth of their body weight a day. If you have five pigeons that is one pigeon worth of poop per day every day. It really adds up. Pigeons raise their young in that poop and are probably the foulest creatures we come into contact with in the pest control industry.
Did you ever figure out what was making the noise in your attic?

7/07/2006 08:32:00 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

That is one big pile of Poop. I now know why "bird Brain" is an insult. What would possess a creature to sit on a huge pile of its own poop. ICK !

7/07/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

ugh, pigeons. Rats with wings, they are. Mind you, near the lakeshore here, we tend to have problems with goose poop. And I'm talking fields of goose poop. My friend used to live near a park that featured a castle-like sewage treatment plant and tons of goose poop, and thus was known (and still is) as Poop Castle Park.

7/07/2006 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

I think I'll let my eyes skip across the poop part and focus on the cute bunny and ducks. We deal with enough poop as it is. :)

Last time we went to the Wild Animal Park down in San Diego with my parents, we viewed many a lion and elephant, but the ducks were definitely Q's favorite.

7/07/2006 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Gulls are worse.

7/08/2006 01:13:00 AM  
Blogger Sassy Student said...

Oh.

Darcy's gone from the Cast of Characters.

I am quite sad about this.

7/08/2006 02:12:00 AM  
Blogger sunshine scribe said...

Yuck to the poop but the rest ...lovely.

7/08/2006 02:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

What a great walk to the park you have there! I'm so jealous - we have nothing like that around here. Well, we have a few trails but nothing quite as lovely and entertaining. And 'pigeon-poop bridge'...who would ever have thought it possible?

Have a great weekend!

7/08/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Peter: My grandfather used to call them "rats on wings", but perhaps they're even worse than that! My kids have had rats as pets. They do NOT produce that kind of waste. Ick.

The noises in the attic have never happened again, after that couple of times a couple of months ago. So, who knows?

Bill: Disgusting, isn't it? It took me some while to realize just exactly what I was seeing, from way over by the edge of the river. Eeewww...

Kittenpie: Ha! You and my grandfather, apparently! I've seen goose poop. It has more, er, substance than pigeon, and if each individual goose doesn't produce as much per ounce of body weight as a pigeon, that doesn't matter when there are gazillions of geese!

Lady M: The ducks are more approachable - and approaching! Did he get to feed them?

Granny: My grandfather was a Brit, an island nation. Now I'm wondering if it was the gulls that were the "rats on wings" in his personal dictionary!

Sassy: Yes, he is. Though we did arrange to meet with Darcy, his dad, and his little sister in the park the other day. I'm sure we'll continue to do this throughout the summer, but by the fall, that will be the end of Darcy stories. Too bad, huh?

Sunshine: Funny how almost everyone is focussing in on the poop part, huh? LOL The rest was/is lovely, indeed.

Jennifer: I've lived in this area of the city for over ten years, and I walk down by the river close to daily. Never have I taken that walk without feeling grateful to live near something so lovely! It soothes the soul, and I know I'm lucky.

7/08/2006 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

These photos fit with a theme emerging over on my blog this week...though my wildlife photos are all from my yard/porch!

(You've put the poop on my porch in perspective, though! It could be SO much worse!!)

It looks like you did have a lovely walk!

7/09/2006 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home