Friday, August 11, 2006

Rubber-band Man

Nigel and I have a conflict of interests at diaper time these days: I want to clean his parts; he wants to play with them. He must be reading my email over my shoulder as I empty the spam, because he's very concerned with the size of his parts. Specifically, the length. I peel off the diaper, he reaches in, grabs the tip of that thing, and hauls north. Just hauls on it. The stretch is startling. Who knew? Thumb and finger delicately at the tip of the foreskin, they just about reach his navel when he's done. Me, I think the boy is aiming for his chin. He's uncircumcized, as is standard around here. So, that little worry parents sometimes have about lesions forming in there? About a son who won't, when the time comes, be able to retract the foreskin?* Not an issue. So not an issue. * Contrary to popular thought, a you need not be peeling back the foreskin to clean underneath at this age. For most infants and toddlers, the foreskin is attached to the glans, and to pull it down will hurt and even in some cases, injure your boy. Generally, it can be retracted by age 5, but some boys are much later without it being a problem. © 2006, Mary P

13 Comments:

Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Sometimes I wince in pain as my little guy yanks and pulls on his penis and scrotum. It's amazing how far he'll stretch them. Your title is perfect!

8/11/2006 09:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Lol! My boys go for it every time, starting around 5 months. They get right to work.

8/11/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

When I was a teenager, I spent days swinging my arms and chanting, "I must, I must, I must increase my bust! The bigger the better, the tighter the sweater, I must! I must, I must increase my bust!"

Perhaps this is the little boy equivalent?

8/11/2006 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger KTP said...

My kid does the same thing, sans foreskin.

BTW, I hope you like comments, because the foreskin topic attracts them like flies to poop. I never had so many comments on my blog until I started debating "to circumsize or not?" on the site.

8/11/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger L. said...

My littlest guy doesn`t tug -- he likes to hold his, like a security blanket. He just puts his hand or hands over it.

He`s 4 now, and sometimes he still sleeps with both hands in his pants.

8/11/2006 01:54:00 PM  
Blogger Anne V said...

Is this a surprise? It doesn't seem much different for men although they seem to lack that, elasticity factor.

8/11/2006 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Geez, the tugging seems like it would be painful. My kids were/are more ginger touchers / explorers than tuggers.

8/11/2006 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

They must all do it. Mine certainly did and for all I know, still do. I don't inquire.

8/11/2006 03:26:00 PM  
Blogger Andie D. said...

OMG! I chanted the same dang "bust" song when I was a kid! I'd totally forgotten about it, but thanks to Amy, it's stuck in my head NOW!

Ben had his days of tugging (and more to come, I'm sure), but seems more interested in his scrotum/testicles these days.

I just burst out laughing while I typed that! Not because I have a problem with using the correct words for body parts, but because I know my husband does, and would be MORTIFIED to know I was discussing his little boy's "parts" online!

8/11/2006 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger mo-wo said...

My doctor who has 3 boys read me the riot act about pulling foreskins... It is up to them in her professional opinion and she has likewise been amazed at how far it can be stretched.

She provided the following image to burn her advice into my brain.. "I have seen a foreskin wrapped around a pencil.."

Besides this we find the little boy diaper changes way more complex than it was with our girl.

8/12/2006 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger AverageMom said...

It must a boy thing. Girl Terror never had such a need to poke and pull. The boy, however, can't keep his hands off. The more poop, the better, in his mind.

8/12/2006 03:03:00 AM  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

It's amazing what I learn every time I come here. My only experience with the foreskin is that I've seen one...once.

I'm hoping for another girl next time around. ;)

8/14/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger stefanierj said...

We heart the foreskin here at Chez Matic--it's more fun than most toys and--as yet, anyway--can't be broken.

I wonder how long this keeps up--my MIL teaches first grade and said her school wouldn't let the boys wear elastic-waist pants because they were too "easy access" and the little fellas couldn't leave the meat and two veggies alone!!

8/15/2006 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home