Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Seeking Daylight

The third week of September is drawing to a close, and I'm still adjusting. Six weeks ago, I had three three-year-old boys in my home every day, plus a couple younger tots. Now I have an almost-two and a one-year-old. That's it. In another week I'll start another one-year old. Heck, this is practically NOT WORKING!! And as a result of these super-light, super-easy days, my house is now SPOTLESS! And I've gotten ahead in my BOOKKEEPING! And all my TAX FILES are PERFECTLY ORGANIZED! AND you can SEE the BASEMENT FLOOR! And I've caught up on all those blogs I was so neglecting over the summer. Well, one of those, anyway. You guess which. There is a totally different rhythm to my days now. We have Morning Naps around here. AND afternoon naps! Woo-hoo! (Well, the almost-two doesn't nap in the morning. But he's very quiet. Doesn't even say please boo.) I am beginning to feel just the teensiest bit housebound, though. With all this morning napping going on, our window for outings is awfully small. We've had a lot of rain, so I really didn't notice how constrained I was feeling until yesterday's glorious sun. I knew I was feeling constrained because this morning I had to wash all those nose prints off the living room window. Need. To. Get. Out. But babies need to nap, and I am a self-confessed nap nazi. Not for other people. You want to drag your kid from pillar to post all the time, that's your call. (Just don't whine to me that your baby is whining at you all day. You makes your choices, you accepts the consequences.) But for the kids in my care? Naps are top priority, really. Because babies need their sleep, for their good humour, for their brain development, and, frankly, for my sanity. Really. Who wants to be holed up with five whining toddlers all day? Not me! Really. Who wants to hang out with cranky, under-rested babies? Not me! Really. Not -- Okay. Can someone come and sit on my couch while they have their nap? I'll let you play with my laptop! Just for twenty minutes, thirty tops, so I can sneak out and have a coffee? Anyone? Wait! Someone just sneezed up there. I'm sure he's waking up. He's had 45 minutes. Surely that'll tide him over till after lunch! Once won't kill him. Really.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

6 Comments:

Anonymous Chelsea said...

I think I understand- I have a nearly one year old son and he still needs a morning and an afternoon nap desperately. While I'm thrilled to have time to myself, I want to LEAVE the house more than once-a-freakin' week!!!

So many friends are envious of our schedule (he sleeps 16 hours a day) But have you tried getting anything done in 8 hours other than feeding, bathing and changing?

Oh well- I suppose this is one of those situations where I'll be kicking myself for complaining when I have two sweeties at home with me.

Oh, I heard you online- what fun to put voices with the names! Good job.

9/20/2006 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger bubandpie said...

You are describing my life. On the one hand, I love the morning nap, but on the other hand, I imagine it would be nice to leave the house sometime. At least, I remember that it was nice, a long time ago, when I used to go out of the house sometimes.

The Pie is right at that 1.5 nap stage, where sometimes the morning nap means no afternoon nap (bad and evil), and other times skipping the morning nap means badness and evilness abounding.

9/20/2006 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

My sister-in-law, who never really enforced naps at all, even when her kids were babies, always wondered why I couldn't do outings in the middle of the day - what could possibly be keeping me at home? Naps? What are these strange "naps" of which you speak?

But yeah, it would have been nice if I, too, hadn't been a nap nazi, to get out a little more often.

9/20/2006 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

There's no substitute for real human conversation!

Is the current roster what you'll have for the whole year, or do things get crazier soon?

9/20/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Chelsea: The grass is greener, so they say, on the other side of the fence. People with ever-ready babies envy you your champion sleeper, and you envy them their ability to get out. Too bad we can't all arrange to trade for, oh, 48 hours! (So, is there another one on the way, or was that just a theoretical comment about having "two sweeties"?)

bubandpie: The 1.5 nap stage! Isn't it a stinker? Something I've done with some children is to go to an alternate-day schedule, where they get that morning nap every other day.

Or, you can try pushing his morning nap later by gradual increments, until it melds with his afternoon. (This'll most likely happen naturally, whether you fiddle with the patterns or not, but sometimes children who are having trouble making the transition from two to one nap might need a little assistance!)

Kristen: Naps are a good-and-bad thing: without them, your kids are either droopy, whiney little miseries, or hyper, supercharged maniacs; with them, mommy yearns for wide open spaces, at least once in a while!

LadyM: No, there certainly isn't. Though the phone works, too!

My schedule will hot up a bit. It has to - I cannot pay the bills on two kids! I have a little girl starting at the end of this month, and another starting in November. I have an interview next week for another child, who needs a November start. Then I'll be full.

9/21/2006 07:46:00 AM  
Blogger mo-wo said...

I had an oppoosite experience this week.. with E. back in daycare 2 days a week I have reveled in the newborn lifestyle. There is something about a rainy Vancouver day, a non-stop pot of tea and a warm baby to make me as dozey and happily-housebound as they are.

but maybe I just spend too much time with cats to have a sensible outlook on the amount of sleep life requires

9/21/2006 11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home