Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Nigel's Language is Taking Off...in All Directions

Nigel approaches me as I sit reading, both babies in my lap. "Whass daaa?" "You know who that is, lovie. You tell me. Who is that?" "Teemee!" "Right! And who is this?" I jounce the baby on my other knee. "Banana!" Note to self: perhaps use the nickname a little less... Nigel is reading a book to himself, a constant stream of babble/chatter filling the room. "Fuck! One fuck! Too fuck!" Guess which is his very favourite book? "T-rrrruck, Nigel. Trrrruck." Amusing as this is, I feel obliged now and then to try to guide him to the paths of politically correct enunciation. "Ffffuck." "That's right. Truck." Not that I try too, too hard... Nigel attempts to turn the page, but the book is large and its cover slippery, and it slithers to the floor. "Oh, dammitahehww." I consider once more donning the mantel of Political Correctness Arbiter, then decide against it. Once is enough for now. After all, his brother was even worse! And he outgrew it. Eventually.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

14 Comments:

Blogger mo-wo said...

Ah, foo it!

10/11/2006 01:31:00 PM  
Anonymous laura said...

Hee! My daughter is currently enamoured with a set of Franklin books that my MIL gave her. Except she can't say the "Fr" sound yet, nor the letter combination "nk", nor the letter combination "lin".

She goes around, book in hand, asking everyone she can to read her "Fuckin' book!" It's truly marvelous - she's like a little Tony Soprano :)

10/11/2006 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

hahahahahahaha!

10/11/2006 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh my gosh, you're kidding me! Just like his brother! How funny!!

10/11/2006 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous shiso mama said...

ah, my son is doing this exact thing right now. and trucks are his absolute favorite thing in the world, so it's like being followed by mister tourette's syndrome all day long.

10/11/2006 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger stefanierj said...

I love that you called George "the very kind of boy who would have caused me much trouble in my youth" or whatever. Think Nigel's next?

10/11/2006 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Good thing they're cute, eh?

I don't think I realized that truck was so hard until reading all of your posts. But then again, I'm usually with girls, so maybe that's why?

10/11/2006 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Kelli in the Mirror said...

That's awesome! I've got one right now that says shit instead of spit, so he goes around advising everyone not to shit. We're going to have some serious constipation before too long. :)

10/11/2006 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger lara said...

dylan didn't say his 'H' sounds for a long time, so one day, when his mom had left for work and he was particular upset by this, he kept going around saying, "i ATE mommy! i ATE er!" it was all i could do not to burst out laughing while the poor kid threw his tantrum. i suppose eating one's parents is no laughing matter, but still. :-P

10/11/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

ha. i just keep trying to pretend M calls everything a duck.

10/11/2006 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

heck, at least he's got his age to blame for it. I have a professor who says "bitches" every time she tries to say "beaches"...and she teaches geography.

10/12/2006 03:29:00 AM  
Blogger sunshine scribe said...

Oh we had the truck confusion too! Sweet Nigel :)

10/12/2006 02:56:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

They always have trouble with truck don't they.

10/14/2006 02:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kat O+ said...

We just had one of these moments this morning. *g*

10/15/2006 08:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home