Wednesday, November 01, 2006

One Foot, Two Foot, Red Foot, Blue Foot...*

IT STOPS RAINING!!!! Hallelujah. The first rain-free day in weeks! We do what any sane** person would do in these circumstances: We head to the park!! On the way there, Malli chatters away. Having read a few Malli entries, you might be justified in wondering, as her mother has done, if Malli ever says anything but 'no' while at Mary's. Indeed she does. "I can say Mahwee's name, and I can say Timmy and I can say Anna and I can say Kate*** and I can say Cedric**** and I can say Joe***** and I can say doggie." "You can say a lot of things, can't you?" "Yes. I can say and say and say." "What else can you say?" "I have a rock in my shoe." Oh. Not what I was expecting, but we can deal with this. We kneel down and consider two small feet. "Which shoe has the rock?" "The blue one." The blue one. The blue one? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *With thanks and apologies to Dr. Seuss. **Not that, after weeks on end spent trapped in a house with four toddlers under the age of 2.5, I am precisely 'sane' any more, but the principle applies. ***Her mommy's name. ****Her daddy's name. He's Italian. Go figure. *****Her brother's name.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

13 Comments:

Blogger lara said...

ha! you crack me up. i may need to stop reading your posts at 6:30 in the morning. loud snorts of laughter (i mean, very ladylike giggles?) bursting out across the house is probably not what other residents - who may not have to wake up until closer to 9 or 10 - appreciate so early. :-P

11/01/2006 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, Malli. What a character!!

11/01/2006 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

The blue one??

11/01/2006 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

Got to love that Malli. Is this just colour confusion, or something else?

11/01/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

So did she have a rock or was she just as confused about that?

11/01/2006 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger Andie D. said...

What? One of these shoes is not blue?

I think I love this child.

11/01/2006 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Kat O+ said...

My son's about the same age as Malli and he can't get his colours straight, either.

Out of curiousity...does she already speak in sentences or did you transcribe for our benefit?

11/01/2006 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

You know, blue, because it's so sad to have a rock in a shoe.

11/01/2006 07:44:00 PM  
Blogger Tater and Tot said...

I'm cracking up! Like my Tot, she is so 2. Thanks for sharing!

11/01/2006 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger stefanierj said...

Oh yes, I too live in a House In Which All Things Are Blue. Yes, all of them. Even the red, green and yellow ones. *sigh*

11/02/2006 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Kari: Oh, what better way can there be to wake up than a delicious ripple of ladylike laughter?? Glad to be of assistance.

Kristen: Isn't she, though? Such a cutie!

Candace: But of course! And that would be the left blue one, or the right?

Haley: Her colours aren't quite sorted yet, but generally these shoes are "red". Blue and green get muddled, but never blue and purple. Yet.

Granny: To my suprise, there was indeed a teeny crumb of rock - much like the ones scattered on the ground in that picture. How it got into well-laced, high-top little shoes is beyond me, but it was there!

Andie: The right one, apparently. I love her, too.

Kat: She does indeed speak in sentences. If your boy doesn't, don't sweat it. Boys do tend to start speaking later than girls. (Speaking in generalities. Everyone knows exceptions to the rule, but in general, it holds.) He'll get there!

Mamacita: Uh-huh. I'm sure the 2-year-old understands that concept...

T&T: We use that expression around here. Tends to go like this:

"What's the matter with so-and-so today?"

"Nothing, really. He's just being two."

Some parts of 'being two' are so flippin' adorable!!

Stefanierj: Must be weird to live in such a monochromatic world. Though if he were in my bathroom, he'd only be telling the truth!

11/02/2006 07:40:00 AM  
Blogger Tater and Tot said...

I agree that some parts of 2 are the best! Trying so hard to be "big girl" but not exactly knowing how. It's very cute! On the other hand, there are some parts I can do without. Trying so hard to be "big girl" but not exactly knowing how! It's not always that cute! If ever Tot is out of sorts and having a particularly bad day, I find myself resorting to the excuse "Well, you know, she is 2."

11/02/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Oh! I just loooove this post! It's so terribly adorable - "the blue one?" just cracks me up! Hahaha! Malli's just as cute!

11/04/2006 11:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home